SID Top Altitude

Dean33

Navigraph charts usually show 'top altitude' for SID.

eg KPHX STRRM.1 is 8000

Instructions given by ATC are 'climb via the SID' so we need to know the top altitude.

I can't see this on the SID chart - just the directions.

Am I missing something?

27 minutes ago, Dean33 said:

Navigraph charts usually show 'top altitude' for SID.

eg KPHX STRRM.1 is 8000

Instructions given by ATC are 'climb via the SID' so we need to know the top altitude.

I can't see this on the SID chart - just the directions.

Am I missing something?

Must be the particular chart you are looking at. I have seen several Sids with altitudes specified/ 

Unfortunately the initial altitude fo a SID is not part of the ARINC dataset. That's one of the few things that we simply can't depict as we don't have the infornation. We can only depict restrictions which are sometimes identical to initial altitudes as e.g.on many British airports. Personally I'm by no means happy with that situation either. Maybe one day we find a solution for that.

1 hour ago, lonewulf47 said:

Unfortunately the initial altitude fo a SID is not part of the ARINC dataset. That's one of the few things that we simply can't depict as we don't have the infornation. We can only depict restrictions which are sometimes identical to initial altitudes as e.g.on many British airports. Personally I'm by no means happy with that situation either. Maybe one day we find a solution for that.

Well that’s a shame.   Looks like I still need the Navigraph charts or the Pilotedge controllers will give me grief! 

Great system though and certainly an upgrade on EFB1. 

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Dean33 said:

Well that’s a shame.   Looks like I still need the Navigraph charts or the Pilotedge controllers will give me grief! 

Great system though and certainly an upgrade on EFB1. 

Thanks. 

Well, it's not that bad?You wo'n't hurt anybody if you climb at your own discretion... As a good rule use the Transition Altitude as your first climb limit, in FAA controlled airspace (TA18.000 ft) use 6000 ft. That suits in most cases...

6 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

As a good rule use the Transition Altitude as your first climb limit

I wouldn't support this statement looking at Europe where the initial climb altitude often is below the transition altitude.

If you are flying in a network, just confirm the initial climb altitude with the IFR clearance. Then you can already setup your MCP correctly and all the virtual controllers will be happy.

• 2 weeks later...