Steam Edition - EFB compatibility version 1.6.0

Dear Steam users,

because I had to create a Windows 10 compatibility version of EFB 1.x, I thought that it is a good idea to make it also compatible with the Steam edition of FSX.

To make EFB 1.x compatible with the recently launched Steam edition, we need to know some information about how Steam is working. We already have collected some of this information but you as a Steam user could help us to verify whether the information is correct. Thank you!

There are four areas of interest, each of them might be different, depending on whether there is already an FSX installation on that system (dual installation), or not (single installation), and whether that systems runs a 32bit or 64bit operating system.

We have figured out that Steam writes the following registry keys, which are used to determine the installation path of the flight simulator.

1a) Windows 32bit version
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

1b) Windows 64bit version
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

1c) it might be that there are also such keys (I'm not sure) ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\

2) Flight plans are saved as follows:
2a) single installation
"C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" whereas the term "Files" is different depending on the language of the installation

2b) dual installation
"C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Flight Simulator X – Steam Edition Files"

3) Scenery.cfg path:
3a) single installation
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX"

3b) dual installation
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE"

4) Running process
The running process is named "fsx.exe" and is the same name as for the original FSX

Please help us and verify these information on your computer, It is much appreciated. Thanks!

* Windows 7 64 Bit

* FSX Box was installed but removed with 'Wise Program Uninstaller' which catches many left over files/folders reg keys, but may be relevant if there are left over folders or keys

* FSX Steam single instance installed

* Ran FSX_Registy_Repair.exe - changes default reg keys

Here are the keys and folders i have (from what i can find)

1b) 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator

1c)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

2 - i have both but only FSX:SE installed

"C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files" - This one seems to be the active one

"C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\Flight Simulator X – Steam Edition Files"

3) Scenery.cfg path:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\scenery.cfg

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX"

All appear to be actively updated when i make changes

4.) Processes

fsx.exe

located: "<install location>\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe"

fsx.exe requires that the steam client (steam.exe) be running

From a guide in the Steam app. These are the normal paths.

Folder locations:

64-bit FSX Steam Install Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
32-bit FSX Steam Install Path: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX
Appdata Location (For Users who only Installed the Steam Edition): %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX\
Appdata Location (For Users who Installed the Steam Edition and Disc): %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\

Windows 10, Upgraded from 8.1, FSX:SE only, 64bit

1b: Correct, though 'Microsoft Games' is actually spelled with a lower case g - 'Microsoft games' (I know it is case insensitive - just trying to be detailed ... )

1c: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX : Not present, though "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames" is present

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\ : Not Present

2a: Correct.

3a: Correct

4:   Correct

Brian C. Barnes

There is a new version 1.6.1 available, read here: http://aivlasoft.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2016-windows-10-efb-compatibility-version-160/page-2#entry11597

And in a short time there will be another new version 1.6.2 available. We try to provide new versions as soon as errors have been fixed, but we cannot say whether there are still other exceptions which are not yet discovered ...

• 2 weeks later...

In the Navigation Data tab, in the EFB Data Provider Settings, what should the Navigation data folders for Microsoft FSX: Steam Edition be set to for Navigraph FMS Data?  I dont's see an Aivlasoft folder in ....\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Regards,

Raj

Getting a problem that I hadn't seen before, though it may not be new. When connected to VATSIM, and route has been activated. I wish I had a screen shot of the error message, but it is something like 'Error encountered getting VATSIM data. Invalid index'. I click on 'Ok', and a few seconds later it pops up again. I finally just left the message box up - everything else was still responding and I finished the flight just fine.

If it happens again, I'll try to get a screen shot of it.

Brian.

In the Navigation Data tab, in the EFB Data Provider Settings, what should the Navigation data folders for Microsoft FSX: Steam Edition be set to for Navigraph FMS Data?  I dont's see an Aivlasoft folder in ....\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX

Regards,

Raj

Hi Raj,

That depends on where you've downloaded your Navdata to.

I have an FSX installation in F:\FlightSim\ and a P3D installation in L:\Prepar3D\

My EFB points to a shared location - C:\Navdata\AivlaSoft

I update my Navdata there, and both my EFBs know and use it.....

Getting a problem that I hadn't seen before, though it may not be new. When connected to VATSIM, and route has been activated. I wish I had a screen shot of the error message, but it is something like 'Error encountered getting VATSIM data. Invalid index'. I click on 'Ok', and a few seconds later it pops up again. I finally just left the message box up - everything else was still responding and I finished the flight just fine.

If it happens again, I'll try to get a screen shot of it.

Brian.

Brian,

Email that to me and to Urs the next time you see it!

Regards,