Windows 10 - EFB compatibility version 1.6.0

Despite of the majority of the users who are running EFB 1.5 on their Windows 10 installation without problems, there are some users who are unlucky and there installation does not allow a working EFB 1.5.

We have collected many log files in the past few days and have hoped to find a cause for the several issues which have been started with the Windows 10 upgrades. Unfortunately there is not one single problem and so I have decided to reopen the archive just to dig out the old version 1.x code and to create a compatibility version for Win 10.

This version 1.6.0 will be available in a few days, so please do not start new topics with the same problem again. Thank you!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone,

Please read this message in its entirety before taking any action.

The "Win10-Compatibility" version 1.6.0 of EFB is available now as a Release Candidate for those who would like to test the initial set of changes.

Although we have tested it on several systems where 1.5.1 did not run before, we cannot 100% guarantee that 1.6.0 works on every Win10 system.  That is one purpose of this public testing period.

You may download 1.6.0 from this location - http://www.aivlasoft.com/wc29sdXRpb24uY2ggPGlzZW/AivlaSoft.Efb.Setup_v1.6.0.exe.zip

EFB version 1.6.0 does NOT (can not!) solve the problem with the fonts, EFB experiences the same font-related issues as many other programs like Microsoft Edge etc. This is certainly not an EFB problem. However, there are replacement fonts available, please see/read here:
http://aivlasoft.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2011-efb-windows-10-du-work-around-fix-found/ With the replacement fonts installed, we hope there should be no issues left.

EFB 1.6.0 requirements for the target system:
The Microsoft ".NET framework 4.0 (client profile)" must be installed. If it is not yet installed, you can download it from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24872

The EFB 1.6.0 installer will check whether .NET framework 4.0 is available on the target system and if necessary it will quit (if .NET 4.0 is not available). After successful verification of .NET framework 4.0, first of all the uninstaller of the previously installed version will be started. Only after uninstalling the previous version of EFB, the new version 1.6.0 will be installed. This is necessary to be sure no old executable files (*.exe and *.dll) from EFB 1.5.1 (or older) are on that system.

We have not tested 1.6.0 with EFB running in "trial mode."  Likewise I do not believe if we have tested this in a non-upgrade system.

The final Release Build will of course work in trial mode as well as a new system install.  (This build may work in those capacities, but we have not yet tested it as such.)

If you have no problems with your current EFB, you may safely "sit out" of this testing period.  There are only a few non-Win10 changes, and they would have minimal impact.  Once we have collected user feedback, Urs will make any possible changes and look to publish a Release Build soon.  I will begin updating the English Documentation.

Speaking of Urs, he is on holiday for several days - such are how the plans of life go  ;-)  - so any updates would not occur for at least a week.

===========================================
IMPORTANT NOTE for FSX-Steam Edition users:
===========================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the installation has been done, you must select the proper simulator type in the DataProvider settings!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To do so, please follow these steps:
1) Start DataProvider and select "Extras", "Settings" and select the 2nd tab named "Simulators"
2) Select Simulator type "Microsoft FSX: Steam Edition"
3) Verify whether the 3 folder names (Installation folder, flight plans folder, and Scenery.cfg folder) are correct
4) Verify the folder names on the Navigation tab too
5) if all is set properly, press OK
6) Then, on the main form, select menu item "Data" > "Simulator scenery data update"

At that point the database should be created.

Thank you for your custom and your consideration for assisting us in this testing period.

Regards,

I've downloaded and installed version 1.60. I also reinstalled the Aerosoft fonts, which prevented me from starting the DU.

NOTE: I did install the updated AirbusPFD2.ttf font.

I confirmed I again had the version 1.51 DU start up problem with the Aerosoft fonts installed.

Next, I installed the NEW 1.60 version and the DU starts up without any errors and I'm able to load a previous flight plan OK.

So far so good. I'll try out the flight now...

Well into the flight with no problems noted. Working as expected...

Thanks Urs and Travis!

Hi Travis

Ok, have installed the RC and all is working fine. I am on Windows 10 Pro Insider Build 10525 (rolled back a week ago from from 10532 as my Saitek Controllers were not working on that build :-))

Steps taken:

1. Reinstalled Airbus fonts in Windows Fonts folder (these were removed earlier to allow EFB 1.5.1 to run normally). Upon restarting, EFB 1.5.1 DU no longer starts;

2. Ran 1.60 installer. Installer uninstalled EFB 1.5.1 and then installed 1.60. EFB 1.60, including DU, started OK however font corruption still there but unlike 1.5.1, DU started ok and EFB 1.60 working as usual;

3. Replaced Airbus Font with the modified font, as per the Aerosoft link, and everything is working fine - no font corruption at all.

Will keep testing and advise further, when available. Will email screenshots separately.

Thanks again for the work done

Regards

Pauga

post-9164-0-22692900-1441162695_thumb.jpg

Hello Pauga,

This is good news for us, and thank you very much for sharing your feedback!

There is nothing that we know of now to do about the "wrong fonts" appearing.  I am still looking in various places to see what is happening with this occurrence with Win10.

We are glad that this build is working for you and Urs will be doing his utmost to make things better and smoother going forward.

Regards,

Hello Pauga,

This is good news for us, and thank you very much for sharing your feedback!

There is nothing that we know of now to do about the "wrong fonts" appearing.  I am still looking in various places to see what is happening with this occurrence with Win10.

We are glad that this build is working for you and Urs will be doing his utmost to make things better and smoother going forward.

Regards,

Thanks Travis and I am fine with the way things are at present.

I'm hearing that its a Windows GDI+ (its all foreign to me :-) issue so not too bothered about it.

Just happy now that EFB is up and running.

Have a great day

Pauga

Dear Travis,

I installed this afternoon, the 1.6.0 EFB version. It installed without any problems, after uninstalling the 1.5.1 version, on my Windows 10 FSX-PC, upgraded from W7 to W10, some weeks ago. Both Dataprovider and Display Unit are on this PC.

I was suffering the Aerosoft Airbus Font problem, both PFD and PFD2 fonts caused the EFB_Display Unit to crash. The replacement PFD2 font found on the Aerosoft support forum did work, but there wasn't a replacement for the PFD font, on the Aerosoft forum.

I temporary installed the 1.5.1 Display Unit on my laptop (also with W10 upgraded from W8.1, but without Airbus) and it worked over the network with my FSX-PC, but this wasn't an ideal set-up for me, using the Airbus.

Fortunately the EFB 1.6.0 version(both Data Provider and Display Unit on the FSX-PC) works perfect with the Airbus Fonts, both with the original PFD and with the adjusted PFD2 font.

Thanks for the efforts from Urs and you to get this solved. Now we can use the EFB again, while waiting for the updated Airbus fonts from Aerosoft.

Reinier

HI Travis

I'm new on your forum. I try to install EFB since few days. I have win 10 with migration and Prepar 3D v2.5.

I tried to install .net framework 4 and Microsoft said : "

Details

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable. <A HREF="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=164207">Moreinformation</A>.

Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4 has already been installed on this computer.

I had the same error with your version 1.5.1 and this one : a problem with "Jit debugger" when displayunit try to load data provider.

Could you explain me how I'll can resolve it ?

I don't no if this is the right way to deposit my question, excuse me if it's not.

Sorry but my English is not very good

Best regards

Hallo Philippe!

Your English is better than any language that I can read and write, so this is good. :-)

Yes, this is where you should place your questions - however I am now unable to give you a good answer. :-(

If you could send your Event Log details of the JIT Debugger errors to me at [my name]@aivlasoft.com then I will forward them on to Urs for his inspection when he returns from his holiday.

You are the first respondent with Win10 who cannot run this build of EFB, so we may need to collect more data from you... but Urs is the one who would need to know what data you would need to provide, and he is away.

Thank you for your willingness to test this build, and once Urs is back we may contact you in email to gather more information.

With best regards in return to you,

Thank you Urs and Travis for updating this great piece of software.

Just to confirm that I have downloaded the file and installed it. It runs fine, I have not needed to update my upgraded win10 install with .net4, it was fine with my current versions.

I do have odd fonts, I know there is a fix out there for this, however I believe Aerosoft are close to a fix from there end, I will continue to test EFB and wait for Aerosoft to release their fix and see if it filters through to EFB as well.

Once again thank you for supporting all of your customers :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the positive report!

We have the only one negative report - and Philippe I do have your logs in email and Urs will check them when he returns.  I feel that the problem you are facing is different than the other "Win10 problems."

Lucky Urs is enjoying some "nature time" away from PCs and things like that. ;)

Regards,

Hi travis

I agree with you, I think it's not a problem with Win 10 !

I tried to install EFB (1.5.1 on my laptop which has win 10 migration from 8.1 and the installation was very easy !

I couldn't go ahead with EFB my laptop can't running with FSX.

Many thanks for your suporting..

Let's wait after Urs

Best regards

Hi guys. 

I have installed EFB as recommended but data provider crashes on start up:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 1.6.0.0
  Problem Signature 03: 55e32b6d
  Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
  Problem Signature 05: 4.0.30319.34209
  Problem Signature 06: 534894cc
  Problem Signature 07: 479e
  Problem Signature 08: 466
  Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentException
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          9/6/2015 12:21:27 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Admin-PC
Description:
Faulting application name: AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe, version: 1.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x55e32b6d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18847, time stamp: 0x554d7bd0
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c42d
Faulting process id: 0x3ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0e863de54276c
Faulting application path: D:\My FSX\FSX Sofware\Aivlasoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1ee63981-5457-11e5-9eed-e03f498675dd
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-06T05:21:27.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8551</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Admin-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe</Data>
    <Data>1.6.0.0</Data>
    <Data>55e32b6d</Data>
    <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.18847</Data>
    <Data>554d7bd0</Data>
    <Data>e0434352</Data>
    <Data>0000c42d</Data>
    <Data>3ac</Data>
    <Data>01d0e863de54276c</Data>
    <Data>D:\My FSX\FSX Sofware\Aivlasoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
    <Data>1ee63981-5457-11e5-9eed-e03f498675dd</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Not sure what is casing issues. I have selected all folder as before. 
OS W7 on FSX PC, W10 on client PC. 

Thx 

Thanks for the reply.

This was another message:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          9/6/2015 1:18:45 AM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Admin-PC
Description:
Application: AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
Stack:
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(System.String, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(System.String)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.IO.SearchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1<System.__Canon>, Boolean)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(System.String, System.String)
   at e8.d()
   at fi.y()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-06T06:18:45.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8620</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Admin-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Application: AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
Stack:
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(System.String, Boolean, Int32, Boolean)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(System.String)
   at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.String, System.String, System.String, System.IO.SearchOption, System.IO.SearchResultHandler`1<System.__Canon>, Boolean)
   at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(System.String, System.String)
   at e8.d()
   at fi.y()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I wonder if there is anything with folders settings? Even if I select the right path of FSX Steam and NAvdata folder is still shows red cross asking to select the right path regardless what I select. 

Hello back. 

V 1.6.1 has installed OK, I can open Data Provider. However I some issues. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or not.

1) I have Data provider and Display Unit on my FSX PC and NOW I have Data provider and Display Unit on my network PC as well. Before I had only Display Unit on networked PC but not both. When I was installing the older version only Display Unit was installed and Data Provider option was inhibited. It was different this time. So I ended up two full versions on my both computers. They do not talk to each other anymore. When I start EFB on networked PC this message pops up:

2_zpsskw3xawr.png

2) I setup all folders in settings on my FSX PC Data provider but every time I open it this message appears:

1_zps7whsmqt4.png

So what path is incorrect here?

3) How can I set up settings on networked PC now? 

Thx for help.

-------------------------------

FSX PC: Windows 7 Pro

Networked PC - W10