Online Aircraft Speed incorrect.

Gents,

Notice a weird issue when observing online aircraft. The indicated speeds seem to be about 70-80% higher in EFB than their actual speeds. An example was last night while flying with company CXA aircraft, EFB speeds indicated +900kts, actual speed +500kts.

Noticed this after upgrading to v1.3.2. Anyone else see this?

Thanks!

Hi Todd,

It's interesting that you mention that as I've also noticed this. In EFB's Online settings there's a tick box for when the pilot client provides the speed in kilometres per hour as opposed to knots. Ticking this option will solve the issue, and show the speed in knots once again. However, both FSInn and SB provide the speeds in knots anyway, so there shouldn't be the need to tick the box. In an earlier beta build of 1.3.2 there was an issue where it began to show altitudes in metres instead of feet, this was then fixed, but it's possible that when this bug was added that metric speeds were also implemented by accident.

Urs,

Could you look into this?

Thanks,

Jack

Todd,

have you had a look at the "AI aircraft monitor" when that happened? It would be interested which values the monitor is showing. The monitor is a new feature which came with 1.3.2. It can be started from the DataProvider's menu ("Data" > "AI aircraft monitor") and it shows the native values which come out of FSX.

Hey Urs,

Funny you mentioned that. As I was shutting down the last time I used EFB, I saw that option in the Data Provider menu. I'll give it a try next time I use it.

Should I un-check the "km/h" option before hand? I want to see "kts".

Thanks.

So I tried the online AI aircraft monitor and speeds seem to be fine but the util is kind of useless to me as I run my FSX in full screen mode which completely overlaps the monitor window.

One other issue I'm seeing as well is some online aircraft appear on EFB and some do not. Seems to be hit and miss now since upgrading to v1.3.2. For instance the other night I was flying with a couple other pilots and I could only see one of them on the apron in EFB yet in FSX both planes are at the Gates. I would try to disconnect and reconnect with Squawkbox and the appearances would switch. I notice the same thimg with other online aircraft in the area. Looks very random.

Something odd is definitely happening here. I think I may downgrade to the previous version and try it again.

Thanks!

Todd,

but the util is kind of useless to me as I run my FSX in full screen mode
I know that running in full screen mode is nicer ;-) ... but for investigations (and the "AI aircraft monitor" is only built for investigation purposes) it would be helpful if you could give it a try in windowed mode. Thanks for understanding.

BTW, downgrading to 1.3.1 SP5 is not a good idea :?

So I tried the online AI aircraft monitor and speeds seem to be fine but the util is kind of useless to me as I run my FSX in full screen mode which completely overlaps the monitor window.

One other issue I'm seeing as well is some online aircraft appear on EFB and some do not. Seems to be hit and miss now since upgrading to v1.3.2. For instance the other night I was flying with a couple other pilots and I could only see one of them on the apron in EFB yet in FSX both planes are at the Gates. I would try to disconnect and reconnect with Squawkbox and the appearances would switch. I notice the same thimg with other online aircraft in the area. Looks very random.

Something odd is definitely happening here. I think I may downgrade to the previous version and try it again.

Thanks!

Hi

It's been awhile since I used squawk box, I use Fsinn, but can you check the multiplayer range in squawk box. I had a similar problem just lately where by I was only seeing the odd online aircraft, it took several weeks of bug hunting in efb and even the pmdg nix before I had an epiphany and realised it was the multiplayer range in Fsinn. Once I adjusted that to 80nm I saw lots of online aircraft.

@Travis see me after class for some online inspirational talking, it's still my mission to get you online and enjoying the experience.

Wycliffe

Todd,

with "the tool" you mean the "AI aircraft monitor"?

Affirmative.

If I go in and change the speed indicator to km/h within EFB, then it indicates a speed much closer to the actual value.

It almost seems that by default km/h is used. If you want kts, you need to select km/h in the EFB settings.

oskar11,

please, according to the forum rules sign your post with your real first name. Thx.

You cannot change the speed from knots in Km/h. The indication of the speed is always knots. But if you are flying online (VATSIM or IVAO) and the pilot client software you're using is providing the speed of the aircraft in Km/h it can be set that this speed will re-calculated as knots. (Display-Unit settings > Charts > Traffic: Pilot client software provides groundspeed in Km/h).

Hi,

After some tests with SB4 I must come to the following finding:

Field "GS [kts]" most probably contains the value for "true airspeed" which is higher than IAS (approx. 2% for every 1000 feet ALT) e.g. ALT = 20'000 feet, IAS = 200 knots, then TAS is 20 * 2% higher than IAS = 1.4 * IAS = 280 knots.

Field "IAS [kts]" most probably contains the value for groundspeed. I compared several aircraft tags in VAT-Spy and all of them indicated the value from the monitors column "IAS" as their groundspeed.

We will do some further tests, also with FSInn and IvAp. As soon as we are sure that we know all the hidden secrets about "how-does-the-pilot-client-software-inject-its-data-to-FSX" I will create a service pack.

• 3 years later...

I have to bring this thread to the top again :(

Since the installation of version 1.6.5 the speeds of IVAO traffic are wrong again. Everything worked perfect in the previous version. I tried to play with some settings of the display unit under Charts> Traffic already, but the tick "Pilot client software provides groundspeed in km/h" doesn't have any effect at all. The shown speeds stay as they are - much too high! Attached you find some screenshots out of the EFB and the AI Aircraft Monitor. Mentioned tick was set...

Any ideas?

ai_screen1.PNG

ai_screen2.PNG

Hi Skycutter,

as per the forum rules, please sign your posts with your real first name. Thanks.

Please have a look at the DisplayUnit settings: > Charts > Traffic. There you will find a selection which data field shall be taken for the indication of speed, either GS or IAS. I guess you must select IAS there.

Hope this helps.