Database Builder fails to appear

P3Dv5.3HF2. EFB Database Builder is launched but doesn't appear on the screen.

The last thing I see when running the Server is a message saying do you wish to update the database. I choose Yes and nothing appears.

Same when running the Database Builder directly. I have to use Task Manager to end task.

But if I choose No to the database rebuild the Server runs okay and connects to the Client EFB display.

The last thing I changed on the Database Builder was to adjust the runway numbers at EGSS. Might that be responsible? I can't find where that data is held.

Quick reply appreciated

1 hour ago, RayProudfoot said:

Is anybody there? ☹️

Sorry Ray, for the time being there's only little I can do about that, as I have never seen such behaviour. Did you try to start the DbBuilder directly from the "C:\Program Files\AivlaSoft\EFB2\Server" directory? (always use right click to start as admin). And if you do so, how does it behave? In any case we have to wait until Urs can take care of it. I'm sure he will be here soon.

Hi Oskar, yes, tried that with admin privileges and still the same.  My desktop shortcut also has admin privileges.

It’s odd because I bought Imaginesim Singapore yesterday and was prompted to run the database update. I thought it must not have started but later on when I started the Server and ignored the option to update the database the new Singapore was shown in the Airport data suggesting it had run but without any interface showing.

Bizarre. I hope the log gives Urs a clue. I did copy my Documents\Aivlasoft \Server folder from a backup. When I launched the Server exe it said an update was available. I installed that but still no joy on the Database interface becoming visible.

Hi Ray,

I did copy my Documents\Aivlasoft \Server folder from a backup

Did you do this before you opened this thread or after?

As far as I can conclude from the logfiles, you did copy an old data backup from August 2022, this is when Server version 2.3 #133 was the latest version. Between #134 and #135 a change in the database format took place and all databases had to be rebuilt then. Currently version 2.3 #138 is running and this version cannot cope with this old database.

To solve it, please do the following:

1) Quit Server, if running

2) Locate the following folder in the Server's data folder: "DbBuilder\Ready"

3) Delete the entire folder "Ready"

4) Start the DbBuilder and rebuild the database(s)

Hope this helps.

Hi Urs, I did it before posting here. I’ll do as you suggest tomorrow morning and hopefully the problem will be solved.

I was running the latest #138 up to yesterday. I always update when prompted to.

Thanks for getting back to me. More tomorrow.

I deleted the "Ready" folder and then ran DbBuilder. Selected P3Dv5 and it ran through the process. I chose Close when prompted.

But no option appeared asking if I wanted to just close the DB or launch the Server.

I tried running the Server and a message appeared saying it can't run when the DbBuilder is running. As I type this it's still running.

I "end task" it and for a brief moment that message appears but before I can respond it closes.

I launch the Server and Client (on a separate PC) and they connect. All seems well.

I stop the Server and launch the DbBuilder. It fails to show but is running in Task Manager. Back to square one.

I deleted the Ready folder and started again. The process completed and I pressed Close. I wait for several minutes but the option to just close DbBuilder or open the Server never appears. P3Dv5 is not running.

I bit the bullet and uninstalled the Server install. Ran the 2.049 setup.exe and after it finished it prompted me to update to the latest version.

Completed that and this time after pressing Close the option appeared to either close or start the Server. I opted for the Server and it opened and connected to the Client. DbBuulder.exe wasn't running. Problem solved!

Hopefully this might be useful to anyone else having this strange and rare problem.

Ray,

thanks for your feedback. Running the uninstaller, or better said, doing a clean install of the entire product (Server, Client and data folders) would have been my next suggestion. Anyway, I'm glad to read that it works again.

I would like to add the following information:

Making backups is always good, but restoring backups is not always a good idea especially when they have been taken a certain time ago. To be on the secure side, make backups regularly but restore them only within the same product version.

Thanks Urs. I guessed a reinstall would be your next suggestion. I only backup my system every couple of months.

The Client side seems fine despite remaining untouched. This is the first serious problem I’ve had in 6 years of using v2. It remains a quality and robust program. I doubt it will ever happen again. 👏