Tried to update to latest version, now EFB will not start.

bobsk8

I got an update just now, tried to update, and got an error with three choices, ignore,  abort and something else,  I clicked abort.. After that I could not get client or server to even start. Now EFB will not start at all. I tried restarting PC, no help. 

Update. I had a backup of EFB folder under program files,  on a Macrium disc, so I just replaced the EFB folder and now everything is working again. I am not going to try and update it again. The only thing that is strange is now my flight plans look like this at the top  TT:Airportek.KLAR ( USA)  

2 hours ago, bobsk8 said:

...The only thing that is strange is now my flight plans look like this at the top  TT:Airportek.KLAR ( USA)  

Well, this is one if the reasons for the Update ! Did you notice the message in the update splash screen after the update which reads: THIS UPDATE REQUIRES A REBUILD OF ALL DATABASES !!

So - DELETE all old databases an CREATE new ones and you'll be fine!

I have the same problem. Initially I couldn't get either the server or client to update to build 135. Eventually I updated the server but didn't see a splash screen telling me to delete old databases. As I was guided, I created a new database and also updated to Navigraph AIRAC2211. The server started OK and last night the client (on a networked PC) started without any problem. As I had been running the server as 135 but the client as 134 (I hadn't had a splash screen advising of an update being available) I tried to update the client to 135 tonight but the client wouldn't open; it froze at 0% progress when trying to open the airport database. 

At this point I decided to delete the current database and create a new one which went OK, no problem. The client still wouldn't open freezing at 0% progress opening the airport database. I deleted the client app and attempted to reinstall it, the installation failed, see screenshot . Everything I tried failed so I uninstalled the client and server, on my SImulator PC and deleted the Aivlasoft folder in Documents. I did the same for the networked client on my secondary PC. On both PC's I did a file explorer search for any AivlaSoft files and deleted everything found. I also deleted the AivlaSoft folder in the RegEdit. I restarted both PC's and downloaded Build 135 from your website and attempted to reinstall the client. The installation failed with the same error as shown below, attempting to inore the erroneous file only creates another error message for the subsequent file. For a fresh install to fail is something lingering in the background?

Screenshot 2022-11-17 005942.jpg

Ian C

P3DV5

EFB V2 134 and 135

Tried Networked and single PC

Default path

Licensed

As above

2 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

Well, this is one if the reasons for the Update ! Did you notice the message in the update splash screen after the update which reads: THIS UPDATE REQUIRES A REBUILD OF ALL DATABASES !!

So - DELETE all old databases an CREATE new ones and you'll be fine!

As I said in my original post, I am afraid to run the update, because I may get the same error, and not be able to start EFB again.  The post directly above mine shows the exact error I got, when trying to run the update.  ( abort-retry-ignore.) . I tried retry, and that didn't work. I was afraid to try ignore, and when I tried abort, it made EFB unable to start, both client and server..

I have just tried everything again as fresh build 135 downloads and installs on a single machine and the server "appears" to be alright so I tried installing the client following everything as default. Everything goes OK until the same error message occurs as in my post above, however checking file explorer there is no \client folder and therefore no \client\globe folder and also there cannot be a \shic file to be opened for writing.

Details as above.

Try to do the following steps:

1. Quit any running instance of the Server and the Client(s)
  2. Run the uninstaller from the Windows Menü, for both the Client and the Server
  3. Reboot computer(s)
  4. Download the latest complete installers from the download page of our website: https://www.aivlasoft.com/download.html
  5. Run both installers, one after the other, and make sure you run the installers as administrator

That is exactly what I have done already. I uninstalled both Apps via Windows /Settings/Installed Apps then restart the PC. Both build 135 apps were new downloads from your website. 

Please clarify "Run both installers, one after the other" Do you mean to complete the server installation by running the database builder or quit the server installation before building the database? Then installing the client. 

I always, without fail, run everything connected with flight simulation with administrator rights. 

Ian C

15 hours ago, Chigley said:

Please clarify "Run both installers, one after the other" Do you mean to complete the server installation by running the database builder or quit the server installation before building the database? Then installing the client. 

The important thing is to not run both installers simultaneously. Just complete the Server installation, then start the Client installation, or even vice versa. It is not relevant whether you run the DbBuilder immediately after successful installation of the Server, or if you run it after you also have installed the Client already.

I'm away for a couple of days so I'll retry at the weekend. It does sound the same as what I've done previously. Apart from the Registry, Documents folders are there any hidden files that remain after a Win/settings/Apps/uninstall, I'll also delete the build 135 downloads I have. 

Ian C

No, there are no hidden files. The registry keys are used for proper function of the installer, the documents folder contains the user and system settings. The 'Program Files' folder contains the executable files. That's all, at least 'all of what I'm aware of'. Maybe Windows/.Net will create some other files, but I have no idea where and for what purpose. On a standard installation, running the uninstallers usually works perfectly, to clean-up the system.

Sussed  it!  😀😀😀

Taking a couple of days away and thinking about when programs don't work when normally they  do usually means that it's a user problem. I was thinking about what wasn't happening during the install and the fact that it appeared to be only a few users with problems, it dawned on me it smelt of anti-virus rejection.

Tonight I uninstalled and deleted everything, rebooted and turned all my anti-virus and firewall protection off then downloaded the apps afresh. With the Apps set up as antivirus exceptions and allowed through the firewalls I installed the server but didn't run it, then installed the client.

Updated  Navigraph FMS data manager to AIRAC 2211 I then ran the server and built a fresh database. Running the client worked, so all is good.

It may be prudent in the future to add a note to further upgrade announcements that anti-virus and firewalls must be turned off as well as running the installations "as an administrator" before attempting to upgrade. It's a rookie mistake but one that is easily overlooked in the absence of a warning note.

Thank you for your patience in helping to work the issue out.