Missing controller frequencies

Just spent a fair amount of time this last week flying along with the WorldFlight groups.

On quite a few occassions I found that ATC frequencies that were live on Vatsim did not appear on the ribbon at the top of the EFB display. Some were there , but not all. All the frequencies were on ServInfo, so are definitely in the Servinfo database.

It wasn't a major issue since I could tune via the comms panel in the aircraft anyway, but wondered if there are frequencies missing ?

Any ideas ?

Drew

Drew,

it's all depending on the callsigns that are used by the controllers.

I'm not sure but I assume that every controller must manually type a callsign for the FIR/ARTCC that he/she wants to control when he/she is signing in.

If the given callsign doesn't exist or doesn't exactly matches the definitions in the 'servinfo.dat' file, then EFB cannot assign the controller to a certain FIR/ARTCC or airport. In such a case you won't see the frequency although it is online. So from my point of view the cause of the problem is that controllers can use callsigns that obviously are not defined/present in the definitions file.

Hi Urs,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I know that during high volume online events, Vatsim needs to use some temporary ATC call signs when they are speading the load between a group of controllers, and I agree these are unlikely to be on the Servinfo data base. It's possible that's what happened here. I'll keep an look out for it happening again and get a note of the ATC call sign to see if that tell us anything else.

Thanks

Drew

hi zimmer

me too, i spent some time flying some 40 legs on wf2011 - totally exhausted as you might easily imagine :)

here is the thing - that is quite appropriately mentioned by urs:

take note that for many fir's, the WFG (worldflight group) used 'fake' atc callsigns, approved by and executed by 'WF/VATGOV approved controllers'(only a few select ones). they oftentimes used non-standard callsigns/freq to accommodate the needs (unlike for example the fss - which are recognized by EFB) and created firs/freq that are non-existant in rl (as far as i know and remember - e.g. in africa and asia).

don't you worry - WF2011 is happily over for an entire year and in Nov. 2012 we might face another situation, including the often cited EFB V 2.x :)

ps: they all showed up in due time in either fsinn or sb4 - and were always referred to by either the new atco calling you or by the tuned-in atco (referring to the next).

no big deal - but your remark is valid indeed, they did not 'show up'

and another note to urs/aivlasoft:

enroute display does never show any atc - can/could this be fixed in V2.x?? so you don't have to click on app/dep for that matter.

cheers

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info. That makes complete sense. I new they used temp call signs and freqs, but I hadn't appreciated they were effectivley unique for the WF event and hence will not appear on the database.

This was my first time flying as part of WF, so I will know next time :shock:

Regards

Drew

what was your callsign, if i may ask?

cheers from HAL55 (aka Marc)

and yup, i even suggested that somebody puts up a countdown clock towards the next edition - it's quite addictive :)

check out the worldflight forum and/or the FB (facebook) - has some nice contributions.

sorry moderator:

wouldn't know of how else to get a 'private message' in this forum... hints? old fart here

what was your callsign, if i may ask?

cheers from HAL55 (aka Marc)

and yup, i even suggested that somebody puts up a countdown clock towards the next edition - it's quite addictive :)

check out the worldflight forum and/or the FB (facebook) - has some nice contributions.

sorry moderator:

wouldn't know of how else to get a 'private message' in this forum... hints? old fart here

Yes Marc I saw and heard you as HAL55 during my flights. I only managed about 10 or so legs and was flying as BAW994. Unfortunately I had a lot of comms issues with FSInn not dropping frequencies when I tried to change controllers. OK, it would change eventually, but when you are on the ILS and trying to get your landing clearance from TWR its not ideal :shock: Had to bale out a couple of times to avoid causing carnage to the hard working controllers. But I made it to Sydney in the end. Its a great evnt and will plan to fly more of it next year.

Regards

Drew

lol

i got it that way, too.

however i learned that the word 'impossible' is absolete and a mind construct.

it is only a matter of perception.

we tend to 'judge' situations, places and things through our own limited perception - what seems impossible to us - might be different for others :)

we all have different backgrounds and living conditions - ambitions, aims/goals, and committments, too.

none is neither right nor wrong - thats another mind set of dualistic illusion.

cheers, marc

Marc,

Sorry if it was taken the wrong way. It was certainly a compliment and I didn't mean to make you seem accused of something; I believe you! I was watching on VATSpy throughout the week and saw you on every leg that I viewed. All I'm saying is it must've been very difficult to go without sleep for a week.

On a note of English definition, the word impossible is usually used to describe an event that was actually possible, but something pretty much unbelievable. If someone's in an impossible situation it means that they probably would be able to get themselves out of it, but it's used to overemphasise sometime. It has these meanings as well as of course meaning something that simply cannot be achieved. In my case of its usage I was using my first enlisted meaning.

Thanks,

Jack