Departure Gate

Hallo,

I was wondering if there is anyway in EFB to enter the actual departure gate at the origin airport (as in the flight planner FSC 8/9).

At the moment I edit the FSX plan saved by EFB by changing the Departure Position from, for example, 27L to GATE 408, or as required. This works very well in the FSX flight plan. However, I have not attempted to change the DepartureProcedureInfo in the efbr file.

Thanks for the great software.

Terry

Hi Terry,

currently there is no way to enter the gate number as part of the flight plan. And please do not try to enter "Gate 123" or anything else into the DepartureProcedureInfo in the efbr-file. This will definitely get some problems.

But please allow me to ask for the reason why you want to have the gate information added to your flight plan?

Thanks for the reply. I will not change anything in the EFB files.

The reason for wanting the gate number in the flight plan is because I use AES and FSPassengers, and that is normally where a flight starts from.

I would have thought that this adds more realism to the Flight Simulator.

Viele Grüsse

Terry

Well, I don't think that a fixed gate as part of a flight plan adds realism. Actually it's exactly the other way round. First of all the gate is NEVER part of a flightplan and secondly in reality your A/C is not alwas at the same gate. Choosing a gate by random - that's realism :lol:

Hi Terry,

I believe I might know where you are coming from. I used to run MSFS by selecting an aircraft (from the Free Flight screen) and loading a pre-made flight plan that would automatically start my flight and put me at my starting gate/ramp with the flight plan loaded into my aircraft.

What I have done since starting to use EFB is to select my aircraft, and then select my Departure airport (and gate/ramp) from the Free Flight screen. I now start my flight and then use EFB to inject my flight plan into my aircraft.

It is a few more clicks to make, but I believe that it better simulates the processes that a r/w captain would follow.

I am a little addicted to AES as well ;) and I have noticed no ill effects in starting my fllights this way, but I use FSCaptain and not FSPassengers. Does FSP "need to have" (or does it "work better if") its flights begin with a StartingPosition set into the .pln file?

Regards,

Hi Travis,

I have tried your method and it works as you say "with a few more clicks".

However, just to be exactly clear, how do you inject the flight plan into MSFS.

Also, which plan do you use? From EFB or from MSFS.

In answer to your question, FSPassengers does not require an actual gate number.

Regards Terry

Hi Terry,

If you have these options selected:

• DataProvider - Extras - Settings - Folders - [x] Create FSX flight plans
    (And the proper "Flight Simulator X Files" folder path is set)
    DisplayUnit - System - Settings - Miscellanrous - [x] Create Garmin GPS flight plans

When you "activate" your route, EFB will use SimConnect to load a flight plan into your GPS / autopilot / etc.

If you are on the ground at your Origin airport, the flight plan will be the usual StartAirport - waypoints - waypoints - waypoints - DestinationAirport format.

If you are in the air and change your route, the flight plan with be in the format PREVPOS - waypoints - waypoints - DestinationAirport.

Where PREVPOS is the position of your aircraft when you re-"active" your route.

(If I am not clear with this explanation, please let me know.)

REgards,

Hi Travis,

I think I did not explain correctly.

The situation is as follows:

I have already created with EFB a normal flight plan "StartAirport - waypoints - waypoints - waypoints - DestinationAirport" and saved it as an EFB plan, and also as a FSX plan.

Now (using your method) I start a flight in MSFS Free Flight, choosing the DestinationAirport and Gate. I must now "inject" the flight plan using EFB.

Which flight plan do I use? The EFB plan or the MSFS plan.

Maybe I am missing something but I do not use the Garmin GPS flight plans.

Regards Terry

Hi Terry,

from EFB's point of view one must distinguish between "Save" and "Activate".

When pressing the "Save" button EFB currently saves a flightplan only in its own data format (*.efbr) and this format is only used to re-use a flightplan within EFB.

When pressing "Activate" EFB is doing the following steps:

1) it saves this flightplan as an FSX flightplan (*.pln) to the folder according to the current settings

2) the flightplan will be loaded into the FSX flight planner and Garmin GPS as well (if this option is selected)

Hi Terry,

Perhaps "inject" was not a good term for me to use.

Like Urs wrote, if you "activate" a route in EFB, EFB can write an FSX .pln file to disk and also automatically load the same .pln file data into the FSX flight planner / GPS / autopilot.

FSX cannot itself use the EFB .efbr route file data - FSX is only aware of the .pln file data.

Regards,