EFB Windows 10 DU work around 'fix' found

Several people, including myself, have found that the following fonts cause the Display Unit to fail:

AirbusPFD.ttf
AirbusPFD2.ttf
CDU.ttf (which apparently is a Captain Sim-installed font)
CDU_WXR.TTF

In my case, I copied the fonts to another folder for safe keeping, then I deleted the fonts.

Once done, I was able to start up the DU without any issues. Adding them back in, and the problem returns.

I have the Windows 10 UPGRADE OS.

There may be other fonts that also lead to the problem...

I'm pretty sure that it is NOT a font problem. After more than 30 years of software development I cannot see any relation between the Airbus fonts and the fonts which are used by EFB. EFB only uses the Windows default fonts "Arial", "Arial narrow" and "Tahoma", nothing else.

Please also read this topic:
http://aivlasoft.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2016-windows-10-efb-compatibility-version-160/

Urs, can you please explain or define your reply of "I'm pretty sure that it is NOT a font problem"....whilst i also agree with you in that I "cannot see any relation between the Airbus fonts and the fonts which are used by EFB"....the fact of the matter remains that a temp solution has been found in order for the DU to run properly.

I myself have have had the font problem and can confirm removal of an airbus font clears the matter, yet, i cannot explain why.

I'm running windows 10 pro 64bit (clean install) with fsx-se only.

Regards

Rick.

Just in an effort to try being helpful:

on my Win 10 system, these fonts really seem to be the problem. If I remove AirbusPFD.ttf, AirbusPFD2.ttf, and CDU.ttf, EFB works fine. Furthermore, a few users have already provided alternative fonts that do work with EFB:

A modified AirbusPFD2.ttf can be found at

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/97403-airbus-fonts-disrupt-windows-10-browser-font-display/&do=findComment&comment=694173

and a modified CDU.ttf can be found at

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1438520565/0#6

So for me, the only problem left is AirbusPFD.ttf.

It may also be of interest that EFB is not the only program affected: I had display problems with Super Traffic Board, and other had issues with Microsoft Edge. However, EFB appears to be the only program that does not start because of these fonts.

Best,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

I was one of the lucky ones in that EFB worked for me on Windows 10, albeit with the crazy fonts, although the FlightLog did not seem to create after the flight was completed.

However, I have installed V1.6.  My only question regarding the deletion of the Airbuis Fonts, will this have any effect on the Aerosoft A320 family products?

Thanks

Ken

Guys

I was one of the lucky ones in that EFB worked for me on Windows 10, albeit with the crazy fonts, although the FlightLog did not seem to create after the flight was completed.

However, I have installed V1.6.  My only question regarding the deletion of the Airbuis Fonts, will this have any effect on the Aerosoft A320 family products?

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken

For me, removing the Airbus Fonts had no effect whatsoever on the A318/A319/A320/A320 package.

I did hear some other users had some issues with their displays after the font removal - mine had no effect whatsoever :-)

Hope this helps

Regards

Pauga

I'm pretty sure that it is NOT a font problem. After more than 30 years of software development I cannot see any relation between the Airbus fonts and the fonts which are used by EFB. EFB only uses the Windows default fonts "Arial", "Arial narrow" and "Tahoma", nothing else.

Please also read this topic:

http://aivlasoft.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2016-windows-10-efb-compatibility-version-160/

Hi Urs

Given the fact the removing the AIrbus fonts solved not only my EFB font problem but another unrelated font problem, maybe Windows 10 thinks that the Airbus Fonts are the default Arial?? How I have no idea.....

Regards

Ken