Distributed installation

I have a Window 7 setup and am pleased with the program in its demo version. I realise, however, that a seperate display would be to my advantage. I have a second computor running on Vista and both ar linked to a local network, however, the setup at the moment does not, as far as I know, allow direct communication between these two. Is the use of two OS's likely to cause a problem and must I change the setup to allow PC to PC communication? Your install program may do this automatically? Finally, I have a touchscreen Ipad and wonder if this could be used as a display unit?

JSMcWilliam

Hi JS,

The use of different OSes presents no problem as long as you can share the correct folders on the FSX / DataProvider machine with the Remote / DisplayUnit machine.

It does take a little knowledge of local networking. However if you have one already set up, then you should be able to follow the steps in the Installation and Configuration manual. The key issue for EFB 1 is that the remote/DU machine must be able to recognize the FSX/DP machine by its "computername" and not just by its IP address.

However if you do run into a connection issue, a search of the forum here should turn up possible corrective action. If you fail to find any suggestions in the forum, feel free to post your situation!!

• 2 weeks later...

Another question regarding an extra display using one PC:

1. To try this it would appear that I must reinstall the software - is that correct? I tried pluging in the extra screen but this only achieved two identical displays.

2. How do I move mouse control to the extra display?

Hi JS,

Adding an extra display doesn't need to reinstall the software. Just plug the cable of the second monitor in to the graphics card and then navigate to:

"Windows Start Menu > Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution". There you will find a drop down menu "Multiple displays" where you have to select "Extend these displays". Then your second monitor should work.

I have done as you described and now have defined display 1 & 2 with 1 as the main display. Display 1 has the desktop and 2 the openning screen for Windows 7. I did a restart but still cannot get EFB onto the secondary display. Everything is as before focused to my primary display. I am really impressed with EFB but realise that I must have it on a separate display. I have read the configuration manual to no avail. Can you offer any suggestions?

Thanks, works fine now. I did a test flight from ENGM to ESSA with ELTOC 2C arrival to Rwy 26. During descent I set up the arrival but when I tried to set up the approach the Rwy 26 alternative was the only one NOT available (grey) and I had to ask ATC for the ILS frequency (110.1) and Crs. Could it be my Airac Cycle (AIRAC_1202) or is it your database? I did a dry run again today with the same result, no appraoch plate for Rwy 26! All other Rwy's are available. Grateful for your input on this. Otherwise very happy with the pgm.

Yes, the missing data for rwy 26 at ESSA is a known problem and it has been there for many AIRAC cycles now. I found a way to fix it manually though by simply adding 2 lines in the ESSA.txt file in the SIDSTARS folder.

First under the Fixes section find this line...

FIX FD19R LATLON N 59 47.01048 E 17 59.00466

...and add this line directly below it...

FIX FF26 LATLON N 59 40.779 E 18 6.22416

Then under the Approaches section find this line...

APPROACH ILS19RZ FIX CF19R 2500 SPEED 160 FIX OM19R 1400 RNW 19R TRK 185 VECTORS

...and add this line directly below it...

APPROACH ILS26 FIX CF26 2500 SPEED 160 FIX FF26 1430 RNW 26 TRK 251 UNTIL 537 HDG 299 VECTORS

Now you will have the needed data for approaches into rwy 26 at ESSA again. If you're flying a PMDG aircraft you can use the very same procedure for the PMDG ESSA.txt file making it possible to also choose ILS approaches into rwy 26 in the FMC in the a/c.

It's a shame Navigraph can't just sort it out. If it's easy enough for users to modify the navdata then surely for them it's as easy as anything!

Oh well, I guess Navigraph do a bit of a service for us all - otherwise we'd never have even recent data.

Jack

Richard,

Thanks for the catch of the "missing data!"

If you're flying a PMDG aircraft you can use the very same procedure for the PMDG ESSA.txt file making it possible to also choose ILS approaches into rwy 26 in the FMC in the a/c.

Not wanting to be pedantic... but forced to be pedantic.... :roll:

The AivlaSoft SIDSTAR format is a superset of the PNDG SIDSTAR format. At the kind indulgence of Navigraph, the AivlaSoft APPROACH format can include an additional notation for specific placement of FAF and MAP markers. At the end of an AivlaSoft APPROACH line, there can be an "FAF [waypoint_ID] MAP [waypoint_ID]" token. (Both chunks of data must be entered, and lacking a specific MAP waypoint, the MAP can be directed at the runway itself.)

UNTIL 1500[/u] VECTORS FAF CF26 MAP RW26

I also added the 2ndary "Climb to 1500" for the MAP... which since the OCA for this approach is 430-500ft would make "climb to 537" more of a near miss. :roll::roll:

Your humble pedant (ok, I'm not humble),

Thanks a lot Travis for your information and thorough explanation, much appreciated! I'll modify according to your instructions right away.

One follow-up question though...you said this extra information regarding the FAF at the end of the approach data was specific for Aivlasoft, I take it that means you can't do the same modification for PMDG meaning what you'll see for this approach in EFB and the FMC won't go 100% hand-in-hand after this mod? However adding that second climb to 1500 feet should also be possible for the PMDG data right?

Thanks again for your contribution and sharing your knowledge!

Richard,

It wouldn't hurt to copy an AivlaSoft SIDSTAR file into the PMDG SIDSTAR folder and see what happens. (I haven't simmed in so long it's not funny.)

Just if you do, please remember to follow the 2nd Law of IT: "Before you change anything, make backups." :)

Actually I already tried using the line you suggested but for some weird reason when I use it I no longer have any approaches available for ESSA in the FMC and this was even when I only modified Aivlasoft's ESSA.txt file...very weird!

So...I reinstalled the latest AIRAC cycle for both Aivlasoft and PMDG and went back to my own suggested lines and now everything is good again. Surely not 100% realistic but at least it's working and hopefully Navigraph will eventually get this issue sorted so you don't need to invent your own fixes like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a licensed user for some time now using an additional display and am happy with the program. I would like to try a distrubuted installation to see if this will help the prestanda of FSX which runs on a Windows 7 PC. My second computor runs under Windows Vista. Questions:

1. Is this a disadvantage and should I first upgrade the second computor to Windows 7?

2. Must I start the process by removing the first installation of EFB followed by a completely new installation?

3. At what stage do I share the relevant folders?

4. What are the relevant folders which should be shared?

5. Are there any other points which should be considered?

Hi,

according to the forum rules, please sign your posts with your real first name. Thanks.

1. Is this a disadvantage and should I first upgrade the second computor to Windows 7?
No, this is not necessary.

2. Must I start the process by removing the first installation of EFB followed by a completely new installation?
No, just make sure that the DataProvider is updated to the latest version 1.3.2 SP1. If not, please use the latest update from the download page to do so. If the DataProvider is already updated, just use the latest installer from the download site (http://www.aivlasoft.com/download/Aivla ... P1.exe.zip) to install a DisplayUnit on your Vista computer. Then adjust the TCP/IP settings according to the "Installation manual".

3. At what stage do I share the relevant folders?
The folders on the DataProvider's computer must be shared before you attempt to connect a DisplayUnit to the DataProvider.

4. What are the relevant folders which should be shared?

Please read this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217

5. Are there any other points which should be considered?
I don't think so ;-).

It took some time but I got the distributed installation working and did a test flight ESSA to ESMS. At the gate during my preflight procedure and twice during the flight I was disconnected from EFB and examination of the Dataprovider log showed: Connection terminated - TimeoutSND (repeated ...). Could this be the screen saver or is there another explanation

John McWilliam

John,

Connection terminated - TimeoutSND (repeated ...)
That means that either the DisplayUnit or the DataProvider did not respond within a certain time limit. Often this is the case when the performance of the network is very poor. Maybe a slow wireless network?

I then have to log into the network with my user name and password. Is there a smoother more logical way of doing this?
I'm not sure whether I understand what you've described.

It's safer computing to have to force authentication across a network... which is why you're being asked by Windows for the credentials.

On my remote EFB setup (XP Pro), I run a batch file on startup that maps network drives to my FSX machine's shares using a hardcoded user/pwd. I'll quickly add that I use a benign local account that only has access to those shares - and is otherwise locked out on the FSX machine - so I consider that fairly harmless.

IIRC, Vista or 7 machines can connect easier using that "homegroup" or "workgroup" method that MS came up with. In this case I think its that the machine authenticates rather than the user.