could not read database do to errors

Machofner

Thanks,

I read the above. But I don't recall pointing anything to one drive during the installation process. Where during installation would I have done that? Can I just uninstall EFB2 and reinstall to fix the problem? I didn't have this problem with earlier EFB2 updates.

Bill McCracken

41 minutes ago, Machofner said:

Where during installation would I have done that?

I guess this was done unintentionally because the default path points to the 'MyDocuments' folder and this folder might be synchronized with OneDrive, depending of whether the OneDrive service is activated or not.

Can I just uninstall EFB2 and reinstall to fix the problem?

Yes, you can uninstall and then reinstall EFB to fix it. When doing the new installation you will be asked where to allocate the data directory. Select a path which is not synchronized with OneDrive.

dbBuilderLogfile.txtWell, fixed the one drive issue. But I have to more issues/errors in the attached logfile.

Since my last post.

Uninstalled both client and server.

shut down computer.

reinstalled server. results attached log file.

I have done the previous steps several times with the same results. I'm about to give up. I don't believe this is your fault. But I don't know what's left to try. Maybe this log file has something that will help you.

Thank You.

Bill

I don't understand. I have been using EFB2 with MSFS from the beginning of MSFS 2020 with no problems. In the same location. The only thing that has changed is that I'm using the latest version of EFB2. So how is reinstalling MSFS going to solve the problem? Logic indicates that the problem lies with the server/db install program. Just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Thank You

Bill

Bill,

Windows paths are restricted to a total length of <260 characters.  Obviously, the developers of MSFS 2020 were not aware of this limitation. When creating add-ons, such long path names are even suggested. This may work for flat hierarchies, but for deeply nested paths the total number of characters then exceeds the allowed maximum length, e.g.

C:\Users\wmccr\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\official\onestore\microsoft-aircraft-pilatus-pc6-g950-wheels-livery-xbox-aviators\SimObjects\Airplanes\Microsoft_Pilatus_PC6_G950_Wheels_Livery_Xbox_Aviators\texture.aviators

EFB development is based on the Microsoft .Net framework and is using many of the built-in functions/methods which are provided by this framework. When the DataBuilder is scanning the files and folders, it is one of these built-in functions which is throwing the following exception: 'The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.' Not EFB is complaining, it's the Microsoft .Net framework function. In other words, when such an exception occurs EFB Databuilder cannot read through the relevant directory and therefore some important information might be missing to build the database properly.

I know that there is a possibility to override the limitation of <260 by changing a registry key (or a policy), but I do not recommend such because I don't know whether this might have some unwanted side effects at other places in Windows. Therefore from my point of view it is the better way (more robust) to install MSFS to a shortest possible path as mentioned in my earlier post above. At least it would save all the characters at the beginning (e.g. C:\Users\wmccr\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages). But even then no one can guarantee that it works forever. As long as such path names are suggested it can happen again and again.

I have my MSFS installed in the right place. AS you indicated above.

I don't know where this long path is coming from. I don't know how to reinstall MSFS. I don't want to have to reinstall all my addons.

Can you help with instructions on reinstalling?

Thank You.

Bill