Two Flight Plan Questions

1. Is it possible to build a flight plan that begins at a gate or ramp location? I have read the manual and checked the screen and cannot find any way to do it. As it is, I must clear the runway before switching on Vatsim.

2. EFB will not accept flight plans created by Flight Sim Commander v8.6. Is there a fix for this? No big deal (I can use FSBuild instead) but FSC is easier for me than other planning software.

In the meantime I still find EFB one of my best FSX purchases :D

Neal,

Question 1,

Start EFB,

The question about your route is now what your on about, there are a number of places to get routes and depending on where you fly. A couple of places are

http://www.vroute.net/

http://www.edi-gla.co.uk/fpl/login.php? ... /index.php

the 2nd one are real world flightplans, now this is the clever part, find a route that you wish to fly and get the waypoints, ie for example, the route below is from Frankfurt to Heathrow

EDDF N0442F320 SOBRA Y180 BITBU Y181 MAKIK UY181 DEMUL UM624 BUB UL608 LOGAN EGLL

simply copy this

now go back to EFB and press ROUTE SETUP then SELECT

and paste the route into the box and press OK

you should now have a route description etc, you can now save this and press activate, this will then start your EFB going, if you press Ground and as long as you are connected to IVAO or VATSIM within EFB and you press OTPV on the bottom menu you will see aircraft, select a gate with no aircraft on it and now connect to VATSIM/IVAO, this works in two ways, you have sorted out your flightplan and seen where aircraft are parked before you actually connect and all you have to do is prepare you aircraft for departure speak to any controller and your away.

hope that helps

OTPV on the bottom menu you will see aircraft, select a gate with no aircraft on it and now connect to VATSIM/IVAO, this works in two ways, you have sorted out your flightplan and seen where aircraft are parked before you actually connect and all you have to do is prepare you aircraft for departure speak to any controller and your away.

Thank you Dave. I did not know about this and am anxious to try it out later today. I will certainly simplify things. It is much more pleasure for me to start from the ramp or a gate.

I have been getting flight plans from several places (Flight Aware is a good one too) but usually set up my own and just add in the SIDs and Stars using EFB.

Happy skies and a nice tailwind for you :)

press OTPV on the bottom menu you will see aircraft, select a gate with no aircraft on it and now connect to VATSIM

I must be dense Dave: I cannot find OTPV, nor the bottom menu. I have VATSIM enabled on EFB and have done the FP, etc. Can you give me more details about how to see the other a/c and move to a vacant spot before clicking on the VATSIM "connect" button?

GG_Flyer: thanks for the offer. I will get one of the FSC plans zipped and on its way later today or tomorrow. Wish I had time right now but.....

Hello Neal,

Even I don't know where OPTV or what it does.....Anyway, load your flight plan as Dave suggested, then select your departing airfield. Providing you have your Online network enabled in EFB then you should see other aircraft located at various gates or in the progress of taxiing. Mine are displayed as magenta aircraft. Just select a gate which is empty and connect to VATSIM/IVAO and off you go.

Hope this helps.

Don

Guest William

OTPV - Online Traffic PreView - no real reference seems to appear in the manual and not screenshot that I can find. No doubt those with younger eyes than mine will correct me.

Here are the forum references to OTPV which may help.

Sorry took so long, two pictures you should be able to see, 1st pick is the intial startup, select you online network, i have ivao selected, I have already entered my flight details into the route (the red text), below is todays so slightly different than yesterdays.

(FPL-BAW20R-IS

-B744/H-SGIPRWXYZ/SD

-KORD2210

-N0497F350 EBAKE DCT WISMO DCT POSTS DCT PADDE DCT SVM DCT YXU J586 YYZ J594 MSS J586 YJN DCT 46N070W DCT MIILS N97B CYMON/M082F360 DENDU 5150N 5240N 5330N 5420N DOGAL/N0474F360 BEXET/N0467F350 DCT BAKUR/N0456F330 UN546 STU UP2 OKESI Y3 BEDEK

-EGLL0637 EGKK

-EET/KZAU0011 KZOB0020 CZYZ0033 CZUL0116 KZBW0135 CZQM0147 CZQX0215 EGGX0427 EISN0527 EGTT0609 REG/GBYGB SEL/CPMR OPR/BAW RALT/KORD CYQX EINN EGLL DAT/M DOF/110723 RVR/100 RMK/ADSB TCAS NAV/RNVD1E2A1 RNP10)

Press activate and then the route progress should appear and with the ground map for KORD in my case

t1.jpg

On the next picture you can see me on gate M11 and i have OTPV selected on the bottom menu, this is just an overview of the the traffic on the IVAO network, as you can see there is an aircraft by the side of me, so straight away i can see the traffic without actually being connected, I have my stand all i have to do now is connect and fly

t2.jpg

Thanks to you all!! It is really great to get this kind of help. An extra thanks to Dave for going the extra mile.

EFB is a real plus once it is properly set up. Finally, today, my OTPV box lit up. Before this it was invisible to me.

There may still be something that I am doing incorrectly though: I moved to 5 major airports this morning, clicked the OTPV button but never saw any traffic (waited quite a while at each). Maybe there just wasn't any but when I logged in to VATSIM there was traffic in the pattern.

Here is what I did:

1.Enabled the Online Network (clicked on "Check" to start it.

2.Created a flight plan using EFB

3. Activated the plan.

4. Move to the FSX computer, loaded the plan, and moved to the Departure airport.

5. Moved back to the network PC and clicked on the OTPV button from the Ground screen.

Is this the correct procedure? At this point the FSINN control panel has not been activated (it is on the FSX PC).

NOTAM: The VATSIM info is being updated in EFB (update time is flashed on the bottom of the "Ground" screen).

I'm normally not such a slow learner but the years are slowing me down :oops: . All this help is really appreciated.

Hi Neal,

There are two different data streams that are considered by EFB.

Stream 1:

As soon as the online network is selected and activated (from the route setup), EFB is getting "online data" from the server (either IVAO data or VATSIM data). This data is updated every 2 minutes (VATSIM) or every 5 minutes (IVAO).

Stream 2:

As soon as FSInn / Squawkbox / IvAp are connected with their networks, they download pilot and ATC data in a much more frequent way than "stream 1" does.

This data is then "injected" into FSX which shows it as "online traffic".

OTPV is checking stream 1 to get a rough overview (preview) before you connect stream 2. Because of the slow data update intervals of stream 1 it might happen that other programs (with a higher refresh rate) will show you some online traffic which is not yet contained in stream 1.

Hope this helps.