Incorrect ETA in ARR Weather TAF

Captain45

This is really a minor issue, but still... it's incorrect info.

When flying with historical weather, on the APP\Weather\TAF popup I see f.i. 'ETA 09:55z' while on the main screen with the flight info it reads 'EET (ETA) 01:14 (19:12z)'.

I think the program takes the PC time instead of the historical time, or....

it gets the info from ActiveSky and the problem is caused by AS instead of AivlaSoft.

Greetings

Dirk

AivlaSoftEFB_issue.jpg

Hi Urs,

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I use FPLs created by Simbrief, so in step 2 I only insert the flightnumber. So I checked it out for today's flight and indeed, I ccan insert ETD and flight duration/ETA. Flying big iron, fuel on board is more in kgs/lbs than in HH:MM so I leave that one blank.

But....

There are things like earlier or later times of departure, more or less tail- of headwinds aloft, other than planned SIDs and STARs, etc. So what's in the FPL is hardly never leading to a correct ETA. My advice would be, to take the calculated ETA (on the right side of my screen) and use that one in the TAF (left on my screen). Then both are congruent.

Dirk

Dirk,

I'm not sure whether you're asking a bit to much for this pre-flight feature. We should always keep in mind that a TAF is the best "guesstimate" for any weather phenomenon taking place at a certain airport, to allow for a reasonable Fuel Planning in case some additional fuel is required. I can't (only from my personal experience from many IRL flying hours) confirm your objection that ATA would derive so much from ETA - even for a transatlantic flight. IIRC I had in almost 40 years only three or four flights that had major differences in ATA due to any (not even weather) influence...

Inflight (on longer flights) it would anyway be common practice to keep an eye on the weather development by regular METAR updates. Those are of course (including the trends) much more accurate and give a very good picture on weather development.

I should also add that checking a TAF at the position you described in pour Initial Post does of course not make any sense, but I guess you just wanted to point to the present depiction of ETA in the TAF bar 😀

@lonewulf47

Hi Oskar,

You are absolutely right. In today's flight KJFK - KSFO (when filled in the ETD and EET) there was not so much difference between the planned ETA and the actual ETA. Apperently Simbrief did a nice job in predicting the ETA. That it took 20 min. extra had something to do with RWY10R. Coming from the east that means a large D-tour over the ocean. Planned was 28L or 28R.

Greetings

Dirk