ActiveSky errors

dirkner

During a flight, I receive sometimes the following errors in the Aivlasoft server:

Calling ActiveSky WebAPI didn't work

Unable to connect to the remote server

I don't understand this, because FSX, Active Sky Next and the Aivlasoft server are all on the same pc.

The Aivlasoft client is on another pc.

Everytime this error occurs, a popup window is displayed for a very short moment but this causes a blank-out of the FSX screen which is rather annoying when you are in the middle of a complicated take-off or landing procedure.

What could be the cause of those errors and is there a way to suppress those popup error messages ?

I have build # 118 (demo version)

Aivlasoft server and client are on different machines.

Active Sky Next is Build 6255.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Hi Urs,

I checked the version, I have SP5.

I want to mention also that these errors dont occur on every flight I make.

Sometimes I have no errors at all.

I was also thinking if it could have something to do with the radar of the PMDG 747.

The radar of the PMDG 747 also uses data from ActiveSky Next.

Maybe there is some kind of conflict with the Aivlasoft server.

Just a thought.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

thank you for these files. Could you please check whether in the ActiveSky settings the port number for the "http web request" is set to 19285?

If you cannot find this setting then I fear that the WebAPI is not yet available through ASNext. Maybe only from ASP4 or ASXP.

In this case I would have to implement an option to turn-off this feature.

Hi Dirk,

"http Web Request" and "Weather radar" are different things, please don't change anything!

It seems that there is no "http Web Request" with ASNext, only with ASP4 and ASXP so I have to implement an option to suppress the calls to the WebAPI for the older versions of ActiveSky. Apart from the logfile entries, there is no further impact on EFB.

Hi Urs,

I already thought so because I couldn't find anything in the documentation of Active Sky Next about a Web API.

But I think that there are still a lot of simmers who use Active Sky Next because it was the only weather product that supported the weather radar of the PMDG 737,747 and 777 when these came out.

I don't know what the Webapi is exactly used for in EFB2 because the displayed weather in EFB seems to agree with the weather in FSX even with the errors.

One thing I mentioned in the first message is that every time such an error occurs, a popup window is displayed for a very short time which causes a total blank-out of the FSX screen.

This is rather annoying so an option to suppress the calls would be very helpful.

Kind regards,

Dirk

42 minutes ago, dirkner said:

...One thing I mentioned in the first message is that every time such an error occurs, a popup window is displayed for a very short time which causes a total blank-out of the FSX screen.

This is rather annoying so an option to suppress the calls would be very helpful.

Hi Dirk,

That's the part that I don't understand. When I use EFB2 without ActiveSky, the same happens, but I never see a window (I guess the EFB2 Server?) pop up. Have you ever tried to use the "send to tray" option of the Server?

Hi Oskar,

I always minimize the EFB Server before starting FSX..

I don't know if these small popup windows come from Active Sky or from EFB.

Because they immediately dissappear, I don't have the time to read what is in the window.

It is just a flash, but it causes that the FSX screen goes entirely black for a very short moment, maybe half a second

It is certainly related to these Active Sky errors because it doesn't happen when I have no Active Sky errors.

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

the call to the WebAPI of ActiveSky allows to receive interpolated METAR for airports which do not provide regular METAR in r/w.

When you right-click on an airport, or when you fly to a destination airport which has no regular METAR available, EFB is calling the WebAPI to get the interpolated METAR. It's also used to get SIGMETs along the route.

I will add a new option in #119 to suppress such calls.

2 hours ago, dirkner said:

It is just a flash, but it causes that the FSX screen goes entirely black for a very short moment, maybe half a second

It is certainly related to these Active Sky errors because it doesn't happen when I have no Active Sky errors.

Hi Dirk,

Have you checked the "sim text message" option on the ActiveSky Options Menu? Funny thing is that I never see any message window popping up despite exactly the same error is showing if I do some trials without AS being active. IMHO there are at least two possibilities for AS to issue a warning, if not suppressed in the menu. Just a thought anyway. I wouldn't know of any pop-up window from EFB2 in that context.

3 minutes ago, dirkner said:

Hi Oskar,

When I switch off the in-sim text message of ASN, I have no popup messages anymore .

So problem is solved.

I will definitely buy EFB2, fantastic product.

Regards,

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for your kind words on EFB2! Great that you could sort the pop-ups out.