Loss of Sound ending with the HRESULT error

Did my first flight EGLL to EDDM and I'm impressed by what EFB offers in the one package. It removes the need to switch between other add-ons.

The two problems I had was the sound kept cutting out but FSX kept going (silently) until I mouse clicked in the FSX screen. this probably happened around thirty times during the flight.

And on finals the HRESULT: 0xC00014B occurred crashing the program saying it was "RequestingTimerTriggeredData:Exception from HRESULT:0xC000014B

If I can find out ways to fix those problems it will be great

Mike

Sound isn't going anywhere Mike, when you move to EFB and start interacting with it FSX loses focus, this results in no sound being produced until you click somewhere in the FSX window to interact with something there again. This activity isn't unique to EFB, all programs that take focus away from FSX when you interact with them will result in the same loss of sound.

Regarding the error I'll have to defer to Urs and Travis, I have no idea sorry.

Hi Mike,

I second what Andy said about the sound. EFB is an application separate from FSX. It would be the same as if you were to launch Word or Calculator in another window and type into them while flying. FSX's sound would be muted.

If it is that annoying to you, then my suggestion would involve trying to run the EFB DisplayUnit on a 2nd PC. Just a few days ago I dusted off my old notebook and updated my DU. I was amused at the slight difference it made to not have the FSX sound cut out as I adjusted my cruise altitude and selected an approach.

As for the error - that's a SimConnect error - it's failing for some unknowable reason. It could be that EFB dropped its handle to SimConnect, but more likely it was that either SimConnect was handling too many packets at that time, or even that FSX itself crashed from anything ranging from a g3d.dll exception to an ai_player.dll exception.

Did FSX freeze / crash with you, or was it that EFB just stopped updating its display?

I spent the better part of a week last summer (Northern hemisphere) on a climb through a Microsoft Support phone tree trying to see if anyone could help in tracking down the causes of those errors - was there a way to find out what happend to SimConnect. I made it up three levels of techs to be told that MS no longer handles these types of inquiries. They will help in installation of FSX but that's about it. So we all are literally on our own.

You could check your PC's "application event log" around that time for an error (an "I" in a red circle). There will be details attached such as:

• Faulting application fsx.exe, version 10.0.61472.0, time stamp 0x475e17d3, faulting module g3d.dll

or

• The program fsx.exe version 10.0.61472.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed.

If there are no errors logged there, the only thing I could ask you to do is to try the (kind of long) flight again and again, changing one thing at a time looking for a better result.

But that may not yield anything positive. I've had a route this past month go badly for me on repeated attempts with FSX crashes - it would occur anywhere from the OM to the taxiway at YBBN with a default aircraft. On each attempt, I adjusted my display and dialed back my addons until I was only running FSX. One time I could make it past the "crash point" but the next time I couldn't. Nothing consistent. I moved on....

I hate ending on a "down note." :(

Regards,

Thanks all for your replies and particularly GG_Flyer with his long and useful response.

Some of these things are difficult to pin down .. in the case of the exception error it was a complete FSX crash, not just a "hang-up" as I call it which I get quite often with REX.

I'll do a few more flights and see what the result is.

And, I will look at dusting off an old PC I have and that may solve the sound problem as it paused the sound too many times for me - kept checking to see if the engines had stopped!

Thanks again

Mike

Hi

Whilst on the issue of second PC's etc and networks, one thing that always annoyed me was the two PC's, one network, two keyboards and two mice scenario.

I know there is such a thing as a KV switch and for those more technically minded you can find ways around this and of course there is wideview.

But

I came across a piece of software a month or so back that allows you to run as many PC's as you want on a network with one keyboard and one mouse. It's called Input Director, its free and it works brilliantly.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Download and be in one keyboard one mouse heaven

Wycliffe

.......I came across a piece of software a month or so back that allows you to run as many PC's as you want on a network with one keyboard and one mouse. It's called Input Director, its free and it works brilliantly.

http://www.inputdirector.com/

Download and be in one keyboard one mouse heaven

Thanks for the link provided. I didn't even know such a tool was available !!

Just 2 questions :

- did you encounter any trouble of any kind running Input director ?

- do I need the same OS on both Pcs ? I'm currently running W7-64 on my desktop and XP-SP3 on my laptop

Merci d'avance