Data Provider error message

Getting unhandled exception error message on startup of Data Provider.  Upgraded to 1.6.7 and still get error.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at System.Net.Sockets.TcpListener.Start(Int32 backlog)
   at er.b(IPEndPoint A_0)
   at h5.a(h6 A_0)
   at fe.e()
   at fe.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Data Provider installed on computer with FSX.  Display Unit on 2nd computer. 

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

it seems that another program on that computer is already using the same port number. You can change the port number in the settings of each the DataProvider and the DisplayUnit. Important: When changing the port number, make sure that you use the SAME number for each of them. Please also read the installation and configuration manual where the settings are described in detail.

• 2 months later...

I continue to have this TCP port conflict.  Not always but random.  The port I'm using is 51747.  It occasionally is used by a system process.  I don't understand the port numbering well enough.  Is it as simple as changing to 51748 if that one isn't being used?  Any suggestions as to a better port to use?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

yes, it's that simple. But be careful to change BOTH port numbers, on the DataProviders side and on the DisplayUnits side, to the same number. If it still doesn't work properly, just increase the number and try again.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem with the default port causing a problem when I launched P3D v3.4. I increased the port number by 1 and that solved the problem.

Windows can show you what ports are in use making it easier to find a free one...

• Right-click the Taskbar and choose Start Task Manager
  • Switch to the Performance Tab and at the bottom choose Resource Monitor...
  • Choose the Network tab and click on the arrow against Listening Ports to open the list. The Port Number is listed for each process and at the right shows if it's Allowed or Not Allowed.

If the number you want to use is listed just check if it's Allowed.