Stutters and how I cured them.

I run EFB on a networked setup and on the same PC as EFB I also run Project Magenta Boeing Suite glass cockpit, its CDU, Radar Contact v4 and Active Sky 2012. This is a E8400 3GHz PC with 2Gb of RAM and a 8800GTX 768Mb card running on XP SP3.

On a couple of flights the glass cockpit is pausing every couple of seconds - around the same time as the EFB display is updating. If I minimise EFB or turn off the aircraft symbol for the moving map the pausing ceases.

I appreciate I'm running a lot of software on this 6 year-old PC but it should be able to cope. And if it was being pushed too hard why does the problem not happen on every flight?

Anyway, I've found a solution which seems to have no lasting effect on EFB. I have changed its priority in Task Manager from Normal to Low. It updates just as quickly but more importantly, the glass cockpit is fluent again.

Just thought anyone else having this type of problem might find this useful.

Hi Ray,

thanks for this information. I never did such a test so it's even more helpful to know about your findings.

It's the first time I've tried that Urs and to be honest I thought it would impact on EFB but fortunately it doesn't.

Still can't work out why it doesn't affect every flight. EGKK-GCTS on Friday was fine but LIRF-EGBB today wasn't. Exactly the same software running on both occasions. Computers eh? :lol:

That is a possibility Travis but it wasn't an area that had much Ai. Another stutter-free flight today from LGAV to LFMN. I should make it clear that it's not FSX or EFB that is stuttering. It's the Project Magenta glass cockpit PFD / ND that's the victim.

I did wonder if it might be the Aircraft information pop-up display but with that running it was still okay. I'll get to the bottom of it.

Yes, some of us are still running XP. I suspect I'll have to switch to W7 next year and will probably buy a mobo, CPU and memory bundle as memory for my current mobo is around 60UKP for 4Gb. :o