Network Error!

I'm trying to run the display unit on a secondary laptop under Vista Home OS with the Dataprovider on a primary Windows 7 laptop together with FSX. Each time try to modify a loaded route EFB stops working and dataprovider shows an error:

1) Sender [sendMessages], NetworkError: Unable to write data to the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host (repeated...)

2) Connection to 192.168.1.34 terminated, caused by StoppedUnconfirmed (repeated...)

The displayunit shows an error: ProblemSignature01: aivlasoft.efb.displayunit.exe

09: SysytemIOFileNotFoundException

I have opened the files to be share for "Everyone" in order to avoid having to use a user name and password each time I set up the system. My sharing seems to be correct though I did have problems directing routes to be save to FSX/PMDG/Flightplans. I want to give my PMDG aircraft access to the routes planned in EFB. At present I cannot use my EFB at all which is very sad so I hope someone out there can come up with a solution.

jsmcwilliam

Hi,

according to the forum rules, please sign your posts with your real first name. Thanks.

It's not easy to say what's the cause of the problem since I don't know your network infrastructure, but maybe there is a trace in the logfiles that can help to figure out where's the problem.

a) do you use a wireless or a cable network? (Wireless is known to be a bottleneck sometimes)

B) Could you please send me the logfiles from both computers to support@aivlasoft.com? They can be located as follows: C:\Users\[username]\Documents\AivlaSoft\EFB\Logfiles

Concerning the PMDG flight plan folder: Most probably you have FSX installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\... and therefore the PMDG flight plan folder is located like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS

Since Windows Vista the so called UAC took place in the Windows operating system which has increased security a lot. The "disadvantage" of more security often is less comfort. One of these things is that some folders like (among others) C:\Program Files ... is an area where you need more rights to write into than in other folders. Since not all developers do strictly distinguish between program files and user data, it happens again and again that user data is located somewhere below the folder C:\Program Files. This is also the case for the PMDG flight plans folder as long as FSX is installed into the C:\Program Files folder. In many forums one can read the advice to not install FSX below that folder to prevent the situation describe herein.

There are two possibilities now for your situation:

a) start EFB DisplayUnit with a right-mouse-click and select "Run as administrator". Then EFB should have sufficient rights to write into that directory.

B) Install FSX and all depending add-ons into another folder or drive.

Hope that helps.

Have checked out my home network and can confirm that all the shared folders can be seen from my secondary (display unit) laptop. This has again been confirmed by starting EFB and going to system settings and folders. There are no red flags there so all the folders can apparently be seen by the program.

John McWilliam

Do you not have a reply to the UAC and program files folder tips?

Answering all suggestions explicitly will always smooth the support process, in my roll at another support forum you wouldn't believe the number of times I have had people miss important steps that I have given them during troubleshooting, only for them to tell me 20 posts and several days or weeks later that they had sorted the problem by trying something I had mentioned to them in my very first reply to them, which they completely missed.

Sorry but I think you misunderstand me. The above problem still remains and I have sent you the logs to try and help you find the source. My last mail was an attempt to eliminate possible causes. My efforts are very amateurish - you are the professional and hopefully will be able to see a way round. My thinking tells me that if the network is working then it may be a mistake in my file sharing since the program stops when trying to load data from my route airports. I will be looking at that today. Regarding your last question on file folder tips, I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

John McWilliam

John,

Andy is not part of the support mailbox, so he hasn't seen your email. (Come to think of it, I haven't either. That must mean Urs has it, and he's offline for a short while.)

Andy's one of the class of users who pitches in with helpful advice and commentary whenever possible. :)

I have a setup that's very similar to yours - DataProvider on Windows 7, and the DisplayUnit on Vista.

I suppose you've tested the same situation using the DisplayUnit on your Windows 7 PC, and that it can modify a route and save the files properly. And that otherwise, the remote DisplayUnit appears to function well (it connect to the DataProvider, the moving map moves when it should, etc.)?