NavDataPro released by Aerosoft

I purchased a 13-cycle subscription from Aerosoft today. From the Aerosoft forum I see that there have been updates post-cycle (which appears par for the course when it comes to navigation data it seems. :) )

The setup and download and install process went smoothly, and despite my wishing that I could have test-driven the process with an old AIRAC cycle before committing to purchase, overall I think that this dataset can be a good investment for those who want to use updated navdata.

On the good side, from a cursory flip through some of the data files, I see that Aerosoft incorporates the FAF and MAP markers that Navigraph provided us as a superset to the original PMDG dataset that EFB used.

On the I'm-over-the-moon side, I see data files for smaller airports that I had to hand process in the past (for example, KOAR and [K]C83 which I've flown IRL).

There are two bits of information that I need to track down before I can "sign off" on the dataset itself though. Maybe given some time to test, I can get a better feel for the quality of the data... but I simply do not foresee any problems. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The initial cycle/revision of Aerosoft navdata which I installed did not include the TA / TL data, so for a few days I was running on the much older set of data that EFB defaults to.

The current cycle/revision (1211/rev1) does include the TA / TL data, so I have no concrete quibbles on the Aerosoft dataset as a whole. ("Concrete quibbles... part of a balanced breakfast!" :roll: )

There is always the chance that - no matter the source or vendor used - some areas of data may be incorrect or flawed. That will always happen until humans learn how to avoid mistakes. Both of our vendors seem eager to publish revisions when such problems are brought to their attention, so I feel we can ask little more of them than that.

Taking a fresher look, I see that Navigraph is now offering changes to their products and services. So perhaps from the customers' perspective competition is good for some things!?

Guest William

Oops - your first cycle was then presumably 10/2012 which means you are now on the second cycle of 13. I - having a great deal of Scottish blood - waited until 11/2012 was released and so far I have no complaints. I was getting fed up with errors in Navigraph and it is a pity it took Aerosoft to stir them into some action when users had been looking for better accuracy for many months.

Ahem.

The TA / TL values are in the \navdata\airports.dat file. Here's a sample for an airport I've never been to, but which perhaps hosts a self-service tattoo facility?

UTAT 1591 3937 41.761667  59.826667

For this airport, the TA is 1591 feet and the published TL is 3937. Airports with a TA but without a TL would by inference have the TL issued by ATC. Again by inference that value would be driven by the local air pressure, but each authority would have their own guidance, etc.