EFB for Prepar3d Please...

Hi,

Is there an update or an eta on when we will be able to use this brilliant add on with Prepar3d 1.3?

It's the only thing in my collection that won't work. I love using it! Please tell me there's an update coming to enable EFB in Prepar3d?

• 4 weeks later...

Urs has had a few weeks to review the P3D SDK and intends to support P3D with EFB 2.

He's been on a roll with alpha builds of version 2 recently and stopping that work to implement, test and tweak P3D support for the current version of EFB could cost three weeks of development. (My estimate.)

I'm sure we all want EFB 2 ASAP, and many of us want P3D support. By taking this approach, everyone will get what they want in the most effective manner possible.

Hi Jack,

thanks for the link. I did a test with the renaming of "Prepar3d.exe" into "Fsx.exe" but I could not get it to work.

Although EFB states "Connection established ..." it does only mean that it could connect to "Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect.dll". I especially mention the so called "fully qualified" name of the dll since the one that is used by Prepar3D is different: "LockheedMartin.Prepar3d.SimConnect.dll". EFB has a built in reference to the MS-FSX SimConnect and it will not call the LM-SimConnect.dll and therefore it will not "talk" to Prepar3d.exe (regardless whether it is renamed or not).

Howdy Folks,

I cant tell you why EFB is working with Prepar3d but its working just fine for me. Originally I was getting a crash from FSUIPC but after disabling it its working pretty darn good. I made copies of both the Prepar3d.exe and the Prepar3d.cfg and renamed them to fsx.exe and fsx.cfg respectively. I start Prepared with the fsx.exe, wait for it to finish loading then get situated at my departure airport. Then start the EFB DP and wait for the connection to complete. Start the EFB DU, make a simple point "a" to point "b" route and click on the moving map and it works from there.

Couldnt begin to tell you why its working for me but if I can assist you in any fashion with any deatailed info just give a shout.

Thx,

Mark

I flew with EFB fully connected to P3D yesterday (before that I used it unconnected). I learned how to do this in the AVSIM Prepar3D forum. To get EFB to connect, create a shortcut to Prepar3D.cfg called fsx.cfg and a shortcut to Prepar3D.exe called fsx.exe. That's it. EFB does everything it did with fsx.

The slight initial downside is that most P3D options have to be reset, as it thinks that it is starting over (my controls worked, though).

P.S. One also has to point the fsx registry entry to the Prepar3D folder, and point the EFB folders to the Prepar3D equivalents (doing these alone allowed me to use EFB without actually connecting). But with the shortcuts, EFB is fully active.

Mark, Frans,

thanks for your replies and the "how-to-do's".

Although it seems to work for now, keep in mind that there might be some Prepar3d software updates in the future which will no longer be compatible with the today's binaries.

[Glyph of Travis with his fingers in his ears]

"I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in magic. I don't believe in magic." :roll:

Although I'm not running P3D currently, I think I can see what is happening behind the scenes here. And while as long as you - our customers - are happy, we're happy. But while I'm fairly certain that doing so will not damage anything - you can always re-configure your P3D install to run "normally" - I would assume that such a system would be "configured as to be outside the normal parameters to be properlly supported by the P3D vendor."

Of course since FSX has been sans aggressive vendor support for several years, I think all of us are fairly adept at supporting one another. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here the easy way!

EFB is searching a fsx.exe only as task, not more! :o

I have renamed TOPCAT.exe in FSX.exe (or every other 32-Bit Application )

Then Topcat started...

Then P3D...

Then Data Provider... voila connected!

Now Display Unit with a little plan

...WORKS! :lol:

Here you find my German How To with picturers

http://forum.flightm.de/index.php?page= ... adID=46189

Crazy! :mrgreen:

@all,

please do not rename "AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe" to "Fsx.exe", because it will not work in certain situations, especially when a restart of the application is needed. As I already described above, the DataProvider connects to SimConnect and not to Fsx. It only watches for a running process named Fsx so as not to continuously try to connect to SimConnect when Fsx is not (yet) running. To make sure that the scenery update is scanning the "Prepar3D bgl-files" you also must update the registry key for the Fsx installation path. But if you do so, bear in mind that a next EFB-installer might no longer run since it also reads this key from the registry.

Please don't forget that Prepar3D is not yet supported by EFB. Please wait for version 2. I cannot guarantee that all this tinkering will work in every circumstances. You do it on your own risk.

• 3 weeks later...