Issue with an ACARS program but...

First off I want to thank you all (Urs, et. el.) for the best program I have ever found for FSX which is not a plane. If you ever stick wings on EFB I'll test fly it for you, LOL.

For my VA I use an ACARS program to track flights and file PiReps. I have been with the VA using this program for about a year now. Other then the occasional strange crash-to-desktop that couldn't be reproduced the ACARS program has run smoothly. Almost 200 PiReps filed to date. I bring this up because, after installing EFB on my laptop the ACARS started to crash-to-destop whenever it played a sound. It plays several sounds ranging from co-pilot callouts to a ding which notifies the pilot of messages or checks to make sure you are still there flying. At first I thought it was just the ACARS and reported the problem to its designer who is at a loss to explain the problem. I should mention the only programs I ran on that laptop were the ACARS and EFB. I just migrated to a different laptop and was making my first flight with it running ACARS and EFB last night. The same problem happened again on that flight. So I wanted to ask if it is possible there is a conflict between EFB and the ACARS program? The error message I'm getting is posted below.

Error message from old laptop:

Description:

Stopped working

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: PVA ACARS.exe

Application Version: 3.0.1.3

Application Timestamp: 4dd015ba

Fault Module Name: WINMM.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549be1d

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 0000547e

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.2

Locale ID: 1033

Error message with new laptop:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: PVA ACARS.exe

Application Version: 3.0.1.3

Application Timestamp: 4dd015ba

Fault Module Name: WINMM.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000

Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7b6

Exception Code: c0000094

Exception Offset: 00005502

OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 604b

Additional Information 2: 7ab7d56502ef8d3407f08d14d5bd1f1b

Additional Information 3: 411d

Additional Information 4: e8ffd27320e42f58504131261ba40eee

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Hi Ed,

thanks for your kind words on EFB. Much appreciated.

I'm currently not aware of any problems concerning sound related things. EFB is using the sound player which is provided by the .net framework (Namespace = System.Media.SoundPlayer).

Did you already ask the programmer of "PVA ACARS.exe". Most probably he can tell you more since the error message points to that program.

Thanks for the quick reply, Urs. I did ask and he was at a loss to explain why I'm getting that error. Now that it's happening on a different computer it just makes things more confusing. I'm trying to find out if there are other people in my VA who have EFB and in what configuration they run it. Maybe if the error can be repeated by another person it might help track down the root?

de-activate sounds of either software and fly again.

i would de-activate efb first - 'cos its of no such big importance when observing your flightplan/progress; whereas the acars has more an alert status, does it not?

or the other way round.

the crash could occur when both softwares try simultaneously to call the same dll.

my 2 cts here - not rocket science by alll means.

marc

Marc, that sounds like the same idea I was working on. My question is does EFB play sounds? I did not know that. Where would I find the settings for sounds? I do not recall seeing any while going through the EFB settings in the Display Unit.

Thank you Urs and everyone else. I also removed the entry in the in the Data Provider even though I don't see how it could cause the problem since the Data Provider is running on the desktop with FSX. I'll give it a test sometime soon and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Guest William

Urs / Travis - you can download a free copy of kACARS which is the basic version of PVACARS (used by Phoenix Virtual) written by Jeff Kobus. You may find something in that which helps. The basic version is used by several VAs. Jeff is one of the founders of PVA.