VOR not shown in PMDG737 CDU but is in EFB

RayProudfoot

I'm flying EFHK-ESSA and need to include a waypoint 40nm from ESSA. I'm trying to use VOR NORTEL (NTL) with a frequency of 116.30 as a bearing.

It's shown in Aivlasoft's EFB but not in Little Navmap or the PMDG database. I have a Navigraph subscription which updates all 3. Why the inconsistency?

Over at the PMDG forum Stephen Cooke confirms it's decommisioned and is not shown in his EFB display. But after updating the AIRAC cycle if I was using an old one wouldn't that be shown in the Client EFB display? Confusing! 😕

Ray,

I have no idea what you are talking about... With the proper (actual) database NORTEL VOR is not shown in EFB2 (as it is decommessioned, as you mentioned). EFB2 cannot show any data which is not included in the AIRAC update. It has no "own" data... Whatever is in the database is shown. I have no idea as to when this VOR in question was decommissioned.

6 hours ago, RayProudfoot said:

Oskar, I’m surprised by your reply. I have a screenshot showing the VOR with the latest AIRAC update having been applied. I’ll post it tomorrow.

I'm sorry, Ray, I wasn't aware that you were still using P3D. In P3D things are a bit different. It is well possible that this VOR is still in P3D, but not in the AIRAC database anymore. In all FSX/P3D-type simulators the navaids are not in an updateable database but in the simulator's scenery. As long as it is tuneable, it will be shown. If my memory still serves me right, it would be greyed out if it were only in the AIRAC-Database but NOT in the Simulator, as it would not be tuneable. This whole thing is not an inconsistency but a direct consequence of the way navigation data are presented in FSX/P3D-type simulators. I have asked Urs to shed some light into the P3D database(s), if necessary. At present I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to P3D as MSFS has taken over pretty dominantly. In MSFS and X-Plane the VOR in question is definitely not showing anymore in EFB.

@lonewulf47and @srcooke. Thank you both for your replies. I do recall using an independent source in the past to update P3D nav data including VORs.

It could well be the one mentioned by Stephen. I did update my P3Dv4 system with it but back then it wasn’t available for v5. That may well have changed. More later...

1 hour ago, srcooke said:

The VOR still been retained in the P3D scenery may account for the difference I see Ray as my own sim is updated with Herve Sors navdata updates.

Indeed. The Updates available through Herve Sors will acount for these changes. That's the only possibility to keep the "internal data" of P3D current with the actual AIRAC cycle. I must admit that I was of the impression that Hervé Sors' Navdata Updates would be "daily business" for FSX/P3D users...

Hi gents,

I've downloaded the file provided by Herve Sors and run the executable. I opted for v5 and chose all world regions. The installation was so quick I had to check it had done something. I searched for *p3dini files and found 72 of them so it's definitely worked.

I then started P3D and then rebuilt the EFB database. I'm pleased to report the NTL VOR has now disappeared from the EFB display. 👍

@srcooke, how often do you run this process? Every AIRAC cycle or every few?

@lonewulf47, no offence taken Oskar. I suppose when so many people are moving to MSFS you thought I was using that. I may at some future point use it for low-level sightseeing but for serious flying I'll stick to P3D. 😁