Muscat OOMS - ILS problem with modified BGL

Hi again chaps. I took your advise and installed the modified BGLs from this site. https://aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html

I started P3D v4 and it rebuilt the indexes. Then I started EFB and scanned the new BGLs so the data was up to date. My next flight was from Karachi to Muscat (OOMS). When I selected the ARR option for Muscat a warning appeared saying "No procedures available due to missing runway mappings".

Strange as I've never seen this in 55 other airports in my world tour and most have been default airports. So I opened the newly supplied BGL - APX63230.bgl using ADE. A message appeared saying there were orphaned ILSs for both 26R and 08L. It provides an option to link then so I use it. As I curremtly have P3D open I can't save the file to replace the one supplied. I'll do that once P3D is shutdown. That would explain why EFB couldn't use them.

Can you confirm if you get the same problem please? I have installed World Update, Middle East Update and Africa Update so it looks like I have done everything correctly. I'm just trying to establish if the problem is only on my setup or others.

Ray,

The problem is that you expect EFB2 to perform miracles... 😉 OOMS has ATM only ONE active RWY and that is 08L/26R. Unfortunately this is the new parallel RWY in the north of the existing old RWY. Due to the fact that there in ONLY ONE ARINC RWY (Ctrl+Alt+A) the automatic RWY assignment algorithm of EFB2 of course assigns this to the only existing RWY in the SIm and that is the Southern RWY, which in fact is not active ATM. As those RWYs are too far apart, there is no possibility to match procedures.

. There is an AddOn for P3DV4 and V5 and even better in P3DV5 the default airport is describing the correct RWY (see screenshot)

OOMS.png.2b8b8c99ccfc05282042b9c524faca00.png

As long as you have no separate AFCAD/Airport Layout BGL, there is no other way to use this airport than to manually tune and fly the ILS for:

08R: 108.30 083° IMW (which is the souther 08)

26L: 110.30 263° ISB  (which is the southern 26)

Hi Oskar, well it is a very good program. 😉 Thanks for explaining the problem. Despite me removing duplicate ILS and frequencies I still get the problem but it's now clear it's unrelated to those.

It's a default airport and Ihave no desire to buy an addon. At least I know my install was fine and this is a general problem. I was able to tune the 08L ILS and land using it.

1 minute ago, RayProudfoot said:

Hi Oskar, well it is a very good program. 😉 Thanks for explaining the problem. Despite me removing duplicate ILS and frequencies I still get the problem but it's now clear it's unrelated to those.

It's a default airport and Ihave no desire to buy an addon. At least I know my install was fine and this is a general problem. I was able to tune the 08L ILS and land using it.

Hi Ray,

In fact there is a relatively low priced AddOn from ARMI Projects, which should be available for P3DV4 and V5. I'm not advertising it, just hinting to it 😉. I haven't tried it myself yet but will soon, as there are not too many airports im the Middle East for P3D5.

Hi Oskar, thanks for the warning. If it's for v5 only then it's easy as I'm still with v4 for a while. What are the chances of me  installing those updated BGLs and then hitting a problem like this on the first airport I fly to! 🤣

I guess I must have accidentally killed a few black cats and broken some mirrors. I hope you get that problem resolved soon. Yes, more airports in the Middle East would be nice instead of just Dubai. I'm on my way there now on leg number 57.

Hi Ray,

Actually the AddOn in question is for both P3DV4 and V5. Neverheless as usual with some "adventurous" AddOns, the installation is somewhat tricky, when it comes to P3DV5. For P3DV4 it should be ok. There is a second file in the download named "OOMS_P3DV5_fix" which IMHO contains all files again. I'm definitely not in the mood to check the difference between the two. More important  is the fact, that the ground layout BGL is scr***d up as usual and does not contain any of the ILSes nor does it show the southern RWY as it is deactivated.

I have in the meantime built a new "AFX_OOMSP3D.bgl" which replaces the original. In my install at least it works ok and all ILSes are in place. Just in case you intend to nevertheless purchase this AddOn I'll add the corrected BGL below.

AFX_OOMSP3D.bgl

Thanks Oskar. I had a quick look at it but will reserve judgment until there are some reviews. Quick hop over to Dubai and all was well there albeit with quite low fps because it’s quite an old scenery now.

AFCADs are always treated as low priority by developers. I’ve only had one without any faults in all the scenery I’ve bought. It’s more of a winter destination. 42°C when I landed at Dubai. Phew!

24 minutes ago, RayProudfoot said:

AFCADs are always treated as low priority by developers. I’ve only had one without any faults in all the scenery I’ve bought. It’s more of a winter destination. 42°C when I landed at Dubai. Phew!

Yup, I remember this from my active days. You could only survive daytime when buried to the neck in cooled (neverthelss still 30°C) pool water at the poolbar. Summertime was definitely NOT the holiday season...😀 That's why our flights always arrived and departed around midnight, which meant much cooler (around 34°C) at 100% humidity. Really lovely ! 😁

1 hour ago, lonewulf47 said:

Yup, I remember this from my active days. You could only survive daytime when buried to the neck in cooled (neverthelss still 30°C) pool water at the poolbar. Summertime was definitely NOT the holiday season...😀 That's why our flights always arrived and departed around midnight, which meant much cooler (around 34°C) at 100% humidity. Really lovely ! 😁

I've only transited through Dubai, not stayed. Back in March 2011 from EGCC landing around 07:00 local. We had to take a coach to the terminal but it never struck me as too hot fortunately. Once the epedemic is over there'll be lots of cheap holidays there... in August! I don't know how people cope with the heat.