Alternates - enroute and destination?

Hi,

I have been experimenting with creating a flight plan and so far so good. v2 really looks good.

The Airport layout is much improved as well. You actually get to see the closed runways now!

One small thing is I have not been able to figure out (yet) where to define the alternates for a given route which were available in v1. I had a look in a couple of the manuals including the FlightPlan one and no information appears on how to set these.

Is this feature available in v2 and if so where can I find it?

Many thx

Mark

No, there is no alternate definition possible anymore. The reason why we dropped this is that you can't define a second flight plan while still in an active flightplan (routing). A second thought is that - according to my pretty rich experience in real world flying AND simming, the cases where you would actually divert (and this is valid especially for Simming too...) are extremely rare. And in addition to that the decision, to which alternate you are finally proceeding is a short term decision, done just prior to starting the diversion, and this is not necessarily the initially planned diversion airport.

Nevertheless we might rethink the whole process in conjunction with other enhancements planned for future versions (v2.1 or further).

Hi Oskar,

I understand your point and thanks for explaining the rationale for this not being in v2.

The counter argument is that we are working with the simulator, so for those of us practicing normal and abnormal procedures/ops, diversion planning is part of that learning curve. When Simbrief is able to generate alternates etc it would be nice to have that carried through to EFB. I for one was using this feature in v1.

If it could be re-considered at a future point in time that would be great.

Regards

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hi Oskar,

I want to underline the argument of Supera380. When planing a route I'm always planing an alternate, too. I'm sometimes testing what to do, when a failure occurs and I have to divert to another airport in the vincity of my actual position. So, I would be very happy when you would recover this function.

I want to use the opporunity, to thank you for the excellent product an your decision supporting X-plane.

Torsten

• 2 months later...

Hello chaps. I hope everyone is keeping safe in these difficult times. As part of my world tour I recently planned a flight to Fiji from Pago Pago. Stupidly I didn't research my destination airport enough and chose the smaller airport on the eastern side of Fiji as my destination instead of Nadi on the west coast.

Whilst I was able to choose an alternate in Radar Contact v4 - something I haven't done since beta testing days 13 years ago 😲 - I couldn't find a way of choosing an alternate in EFB. After landing and reading the manual and then searching here it became obvious no such facility exists.

In the two years since this was last discussed are you considering adding such a feature?

5 hours ago, RayProudfoot said:

Hello chaps. I hope everyone is keeping safe in these difficult times. As part of my world tour I recently planned a flight to Fiji from Pago Pago. Stupidly I didn't research my destination airport enough and chose the smaller airport on the eastern side of Fiji as my destination instead of Nadi on the west coast.

Whilst I was able to choose an alternate in Radar Contact v4 - something I haven't done since beta testing days 13 years ago 😲 - I couldn't find a way of choosing an alternate in EFB. After landing and reading the manual and then searching here it became obvious no such facility exists.

In the two years since this was last discussed are you considering adding such a feature?

Hi Ray,

There's one thing that I don't understand at all. If you DECIDE to proceed to an alternate (there's no reason to have an alternate routing before that point), why don't you just enter HDG mode, clear the active routing and select a new destination, add some Waypoints and Procedures and enter the routing with applying DCT TO and select NAV again? PLANNING an alternate before flight is something completely different, as you of course require an alternate by your FOM (unless your planning is based on Isolated Destination). But once you DECIDE to proceed to an alternate you will just have to start a new Flight Plan (routing).

Of course we are rethinking a possibility to have an Alternate Routing already prepared in any suitable manner, but ATM we're a bit overly busy with other important work. But again, the chances that you actually proceed to that Alternate are not extremely high, as there is (and this comes from my personal real world experience) a considerable difference between the Operational Alternate (as required by your FOM) and the Actual Alternate, based on the actual diversion decision. Thanks God I didn't have to do too many diversions IRL (if I remember correctly there were some 6 or 7) and only ONE of those went to the Planned Alternate... Having an alternate routing prepared in the FMC didn't help a bit. That's why we dropped it as a general requirement.

One more thing that makes a prepared Alternate Routing also obsolete is a scenario which happened to me twice. Due to a technical malfunction halfway enroute the destination became unavailable due to RWY length limitations and we had to proceed to an alternate offering enough RWY length. This kind of diversion asked for a complete re-routing and again was not within our preflight considerations. So you see, Real Life teaches you a different lesson - and we simmers do want to have it as real as it get's - dont'we? 😉

Hi Oskar,

The reason I didn't want to change my EFB plan is because I'm logging all my times, fuel used etc and that would have been lost had I started with a new plan. I was around 200nm out when I realised my mistake so unlike real world alternates mine was down to pilot stupidity, not adverse wx or the like. 😄

This wasn't a request out of necessity since I manage to add the new airport into my plan so when I landed I had taxi routing etc. And the fuel and times were okay too.

Unlike mine, yours was a real-life situation and probably caused a few heart flutters. As much as we like to think flight sim is as real as it gets the reality is somewhat different.

This was a request that enquired about whether you are considering such a feature rather than needing it as a necessity. I doubt I'll make that mistake again. Typing this enroute from Alice Springs to Darwin. No chance of choosing the wrong airports this time! 😁

My best wishes to both you and Urs and it's nice to hear more features are being planned.