Data Unit and Display Unit connection

Hi,

I had to reinstall windows 10 and therefore all other flightsim programs. I have now upgraded my previous version of the EFB to version 1.6.10 on the FSX PC and the remote PC.

Previous version worked fine and rarely had any problems.

I now have the problem that the Display Unit does NOT connect to the Data Unit. I have enclosed several screenshots, which shows:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/9Q223u

a. the installed version on both machines

b. the running data provider with connection to FSX

c. the "simconnect.xml" file from the data unit PC

d. the ipconfig result of the data provider

e. the trying to connect display unit with version number

f. the "simconnect.cfg" file from the display unit PC

I am not running a 3rd party Antivirus/Firewall program yet

So I am pretty much at the "end" of my troubleshooting capabilities. If anyone could help me out, I would certainly appreciate it. In general I know that it worked prior to the reinstall of windows10, so it is NOT a win10 issue.

Again, thanks for help

I'm a newbie when it comes to EFB, as I am still on the 30 days trial, however a few observations. I do run with windows 10 on both my computers, so I can confirm it do work with Win10.

• First I would remove/blur the screenshot where you list all your license-credentials and serial number - not something you want to share with the internet.
  • Windows 10 have its own Firewall even though you have not installed a 3rd party, so if you have not tried yet. I would disable the build-in firewall on both computers.
  • Did you remember to share the folders that needs to be shared, and did you test you have write-permissions to these shares (try to see if you can write a simple text file from the "other" computer using those shares).

Edit: I don't think EFB 1.x is using SimConnect (I think in stead it uses its own connection between "server" and "client"), however I have compared your SimConnect settings to my own, and I don't see a problem there. I uses port 5000 in stead of the port you uses, and my "local setting" on the server is a bit different:

<SimConnect.Comm>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Address>192.168.88.100</Address>
    <Port>5000</Port>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Scope>local</Scope>
    <Address>127.0.0.1</Address>
    <Port>5000</Port>
  </SimConnect.Comm>

Hi Pelle,

Thanks for trying to help and thanks for pointing out the S/N screenshot. I totally missed that (it's corrected now).

I again checked the simconnect file and it as the following differences:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>192.168.0.3</Address>             MY DATA PROVIDER PC "STATIC IP ADDRESS"
<Port>6811</Port>                                       I TRIED THIS PORT ON DATA & DISPLAY PC
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>      MISSING LINE IN YOUR FILE????
<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
<Scope>local</Scope>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>

The line ---   <Address>127.0.0.1</Address> --- is missing in my file? (Router?)

However, I believe you are correct that EFB does NOT use "simconnect" for communication between Data and Display unit. I also know that my "simconnect" works properly, since I have another program that shows the current position and flight plan overlayed on Google Maps (FSX Flight Tracker). This program uses the FSX data from my Data Unit and I display the flight progress on my other PC (Display Unit). I just did a short flight and everything works properly with simconnect.

I also tested the read/write permission for the shared folder and it works. However, I strongly believe my problem is the "ownership" of the file "AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider", see access path:  \\Gigabyte\C\Users\Juergen\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.

I also found 2 other posts which have/had the identical problem. However No resolve since it is a "Network" problem.

For me, I will have someone help me with the "Network Issue" in the next few days and will let you know if we found the problem.

Again, thanks for response

The SimConnect configuration consists of two parts, where one is used for networked connections (from other computers) where the scope is set to "Global" and the other for local connections (connections on the same PC) where scope is set to "Local". The IP address 127.0.0.1 is simply your networks adapters loop-back address. If you in a CMD enters the command "ping 127.0.0.1" you will (as long as the IP stack is configured correctly) always get a result, hence its just another way to specify how to access your own/local network adapter. The "MaxRecvSize" tag is not required (mine is working fine without). It must default to same value if not specified.

But all this is not important as long as EFB is not using SimConnect :-) Hope you'll locate the issue

Hi Pelle,

I did perform the following ping commands and I assume the all look o.k. (Packets Sent 4, Received 4, Lost 0).

As I said before, my FS Tracker program works fine and it uses simconnect for communication between data and display unit.

iinet.net.au iiNet’s web address To check that DNS is working on your computer
203.0.178.191 One of iiNet’s DNS servers To check that TCP/IP settings are working on your computer
127.0.0.1 A loopback test to your own computer To check that there’s no issue with your computer’s network adapter or connection settings

@all,

EFB does NOT make use of SimConnect for the network communication. It has its own TCP/IP implementation. SimConnect is only used by the DataProvider to LOCALLY connect with the simulator. So all configuration settings in the files "SimConnect.ini", "SimConnect.xml" and "SimConnect.cfg" are NOT relevant in this case.

If the DisplayUnit cannot connect, and all configuration settings seems to be OK, then it is most probably due to insufficient access rights to the target folder on the DataProviders computer. To check this, have a look at the properties of the target folder and make sure that not only the sharing properties, but also the security properties are properly set.

Hope this helps.