EFB stops working when P3D v3.4 is closed

I've recently switched from FSX to P3D v3.4. I reinstalled EFB (Data Provider on P3D computer and Display Unit on a separate one). I haven't uninstalled FSX and my SimConnect settings are unchanged.

Every time I close P3D Windows 7 displays a message that EFB has stopped working. I open Event Viewer and this is the message. Any idea why it's happening and how I can stop it. In all other respects EFB works fine during a flight.

Faulting application name: AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe, version: 1.6.8.0, time stamp: 0x56c5ffaa
Faulting module name: SimConnect.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fad5b6
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001f8b
Faulting process id: 0x1728
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c7fffdc0b5b3
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.flightsimulator.simconnect_67c7c14424d61b5b_10.0.61259.0_none_55f5ecdc14f60568\SimConnect.dll
Report Id: 8a8e8acb-33f8-11e7-8fd3-94de80a6c959

Hi Ray,

the faulting module is SimConnect.dll and as a result of this the DataProvider is faulting too. So the reason is P3D when it closes. I'm not sure, just guessing, it might be that P3D 3.4 requires another SimConnect version than 10.0.61637.0 ??? Did you already have a look at the P3D forum, or just a Google-search?

1 hour ago, aivlasoft said:

Hi Ray,

the faulting module is SimConnect.dll and as a result of this the DataProvider is faulting too. So the reason is P3D when it closes. I'm not sure, just guessing, it might be that P3D 3.4 requires another SimConnect version than 10.0.61637.0 ??? Did you already have a look at the P3D forum, or just a Google-search?

Hi Urs,

No I didn't purely because everything seemed to work except when closing P3D. I shall investigate further. Pity P3D can't install what it needs.

LATER: Urs, why would P3D and EFB work fine with existing SimConnect versions and only have a problem when P3D is closed? Doesn't make sense. If I didn't have the right version EFB wouldn't connect with P3D.

Hi Urs,

I'm attaching a log file showing my most recent activity. EFB Data Provider is started by SimStarterNG and should be closed by that program once P3D has closed. However, what is happening is as soon as I close P3D the "program has stopped working" popup appears. Given that EFB works fine during a flight I fail to understand why it ceases working as soon as P3D is closed.

If I require a separate SimConnect for P3D / EFB please advise which it is and where I can find it.

Ray_EFB_Log.txt

I've circumvented the problem. Rather than have SimStartNG start EFB I'm now using FSUIPC. When I close P3D the EFB Data Provider display stays visible for several seconds and then closes elegantly with no "program has stopped working" message. :-)