Data Provider Files - Cannot share

Hello,

I would really like to try out your wonderful-sounding program, but I have been stumped during the set-up process.

I cannot get my Window 7 computer to share the Data provider files, in this case, C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider, with my laptop running Win XP. I got far enough to get my laptop to show the directory, but when I go to My Network Places on the display computer and try to remotely open the the AppData folder I get an error message saying it's not accessible.

I have successfully set up sharing between these two computers as in say, my Flight Simulator X Files folder, but I can't get the AppData and subfolders to share. I did notice that the AppData folder is "hidden," so I changed it and all subfolders to an unhidden state, but that didn't help either.

It does no good to say, "check your operating systems instructions on how to share files," because most of those instructions are way above my level of understanding.

Perhaps someone who has Windows 7 and has successfully completed this step could walk me, and others who may be experiencing this problem, through the process step-by-step. I can tell you it would be much appreciated by me.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hello,

I would really like to try out your wonderful-sounding program, but I have been stumped during the set-up process.

I cannot get my Window 7 computer to share the Data provider files, in this case, C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider, with my laptop running Win XP. I got far enough to get my laptop to show the directory, but when I go to My Network Places on the display computer and try to remotely open the the AppData folder I get an error message saying it's not accessible.

I have successfully set up sharing between these two computers as in say, my Flight Simulator X Files folder, but I can't get the AppData and subfolders to share. I did notice that the AppData folder is "hidden," so I changed it and all subfolders to an unhidden state, but that didn't help either.

It does no good to say, "check your operating systems instructions on how to share files," because most of those instructions are way above my level of understanding.

Perhaps someone who has Windows 7 and has successfully completed this step could walk me, and others who may be experiencing this problem, through the process step-by-step. I can tell you it would be much appreciated by me.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I had exactly the same problem. I managed to solve it by mapping the C:\ drive on the computer with FSX.

To do this open Windows Explorer and go to the C:\ drive. Open the Tools menu and click on the "Map Network Drive" item.

This worked for me. I cannot remember now but I may have done this on both computers.

Hope this helps.

Terry

Hi, Terry,

Thanks for your attempt to help. I did manage to create a network drive with the folder Microsoft Flight Simulator X as an experiment, but my remote computer was still not allowed access to it even though it was showing on the network. I did not have these problems with Win XP. Win 7 seems to have different rules for sharing. I don't understand why I'm allowed to share my Documents folder over the network, but not others that I designate.

I am so unsure of myself that I will need a step-by-step walkthrough by someone who has accomplised this using Windows 7.

Again, thanks much.

Tom

Hello, Urs,

Thanks for the link. I did read and study it, but it didn't seem to cover my particular problem related to sharing Win 7 files. I also tried setting up a network drive according to the author's examples, but that didn't work either.

I suppose I'll have to hire a tech to come over to my house. If I find the answer, I'll share it with the forum.

I appreciate everyone's comments.

Best to all,

Tom