Curious observations with EGCC demo and EFB??

Hi Guys,

This airport seems to get a lot of attention for some reason in the forum and having read a few threads, I'm still unfortunately no further forward in solving my problem.

Background

I'm running UK2000's free demo of EGGC which in FSX looks OK, but inside EFB on the Ground Chart, I see a number of issues:-

• only one runway is displayed (06R/24L) - there should be 2 based on what I see in FSX
  • there's no parking spots displayed at all on the Ground chart.... really weird
  • there's no taxiways shown at all - just the apron area but nothing linking 06R/24L to the terminal
  • minor issue was the runways were mistmatched between FSX and the current AIRAC hence an update iof the runways.txt file was needed
  • I'm currently using the AIRAC cycle 1208 for EFB (downloaded last week) - in the EFB/Navadata folder and the EGCC.txt file I see entries for both runways 24L/R and 06L/R

Does anyone have an idea what is the issue? Is this a scenery demo problem or an EFB issue???

I have already tried the following:-

• run the EFB FSX scenery update in the EFB Data Provider after install of EGCC demo -no errors apart from the expected FSX to EFB mismatch of runways
  • cleaned the cache from the Display Unit
  • also uninstalled and re-installed EGGC free demo scenery
  • I assume that even if this is a demo with limited features, both runways should show plus the parking spots? I only see 24L/06R for some reason in EFB?In FSx I can selrct various parking spots so these are recognized by FSX.
  • I did try using the other supplied .bgl files in the scenery (default was EGCC_AFX_UK2xGEN.BGL, but also tried EGCC_AFX_UK2xTRMW.BGLonly using one at time in the scenery folder, but I still have the same result
  • the good news is I didn't have any issues with the arrival to 24L
  • I opened the AFX file mentioned above in ADE and the taxiways and apron are definitely present.

Anyway, thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. :?:

Regards

Mark

Hi Urs,

Just some more info...

When the DP strarts up and am positioned at EGGC, there are 4 warnings about EFB trying to assign runways but it says only 06L/24R exists in FSX then it finds the mismatch between Rwy 23 in the Navdata and 24 in FSX.

I also tried deleting my Scenery Index folder and have FSX rebuild but still the same issue.

The more I look at this, the more I feel this is a scenery issue with the demo version. I will raise a question over on the UK2000 forum to see if they can confirm the demo is inhibiting taxiways and runways in some way. From what I read not all jetways show and of course the scenery buildings are very limited in this version, but I would expect the runways to be active.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

The runways at Manchester had their designations changed several years ago after FSX was released. They are now 05L/23R and 05R/23L. I'm surprised the old runways were shown in the demo version by UK2000.

I can only think that several things have been disabled in the demo version. I doubt you will have any issues with the full release.

Mark,

EGCC_AFX_UK2xGEN.BGL is the correct file. So far this is OK.

Could you please check the "runways.txt" file in your users data folder whether there are some entries for EGCC already?

From my point of view there should be the following lines to tell EFB which FSX runway to use for a certain Navigraph runway.

EGCC 24R 23R

EGCC 06L 05L

EGCC 24L 23L

EGCC 06R 05R

Hi Urs,

Yes, when I got the runway mismatch warning from EFB originally , I entered those 4 lines in Runways.txt and the mismatch errors disppeared, but what surprised me was EFB showed no 2nd runway or any of the taxiways based on the .BGL in use although in FSX they are physically there. I did then remove those entries as in other posts I read, this had seemed to cause an issue but the same problem remains.

I'm wondering why EFB is not picking the 2nd runway and taxiways up??? The .BGL when loaded into ADE shows the 2nd runway, the taxiways and all the gates. I assume even with the demo version for example, even if only a few gates are populated with FSX jetways, EFB should be able to pick up all the assigned parking spaces up (with or without the jetways).

I will try and post a screenshot of what I am seeing in EFB.

Stay tuned!

Regards

Mark

OK Urs,

This is what I am seeing with the 4 entries in Runways.txt re-added. I did check my entries versus yours and they were identical. :D

EGCC_demo_EFB.jpg

Let me know...no urgent rush on this so as and when you have time a sI will not have time to fly anymore for the next few days.. :)

Thx

Mark

Mark,

I did some tests with this scenery and I think that I've found the solution: Have a look into the scenery folder. There you should see a file named "egccx_AFX_UK2.bgl". Just rename it to "egccx_AFX_UK2.bgl.old" (or any other 'meaningful' name ;-)) and rerun the scenery update from the DataProvider's menu. After the update has been done you will see the entire airport. I'm not sure whether this file is really needed, maybe the developer only forgot it to remove.

Guest William

I have mentioned this handy little free utility before I think - Airport Scanner which is available HERE. It will scan for all duplicate airport files show all duplicates.