EFB does not show procedures after installing "RadioAids"

Hi Urs,

About the RadioAids Project from http://www.ivao.fr/dep/RadioAids/radioaids.html

"The RadioAids project is intended to update the Flight Simulator navigation data (VOR, NDB, ILS) as well as some intersections (FS9), runway identifiers and signs so as they match as closely as possible the real data" (Europe only)

from the RadioAids .pdf doc:

"Flying the simulator with a high degree of realism requires that the navigation data are up-to-date. Provided packages are based on the latest AIPs and Jeppesen information; they include a collection of modified BGL files (build from default FSX files) that will update VORs and NDBs affecting instrument readings as well as FS map and GPS displays. Packages are released with a dedicated installer that will move the updated files to their final locations, backup the original FSX files and restore them if needed. Some packages (Europe) will also correct some ILS’s and runway changes in selected countries. As a general rule, a few NDB’s (those contained in airport BGL files (AP*.BGL) will not be corrected by the update as far as it only concerns the main navigation BGL files (NV*.BGL).

My question : when installing RadioAids some EFB SID&STAR and/or APCH plates are no longer available (greyed out). This is the case at LFOB/Beauvais Tillé for example. It makes me think EFB is not RadioAids compatible in some cases.

Have you got any idea why ?

Jean-Louis,

some EFB SID&STAR and/or APCH plates are no longer available
The first idea that came into my mind when I read your post was "runways.txt". I assume that RadioAids changes the runway identifiers in the BGL files. Maybe there are some lines in runways.txt which are no longer needed?

Thanks Urs,

As I said below, as an example, the LFOB apch plate is greyed out when RadioAids cycle 1205 is installed, but the LFOB runways identifiers were not changed in any of the cumulative RadioAids update.

in my own runway.txt LFOB is the list as follows :

LFOB 04 04

LFOB 22 22

LFOB 13 12

LFOB 31 30

LFOB 13R nil

LFOB 31L nil

LFOB 05R nil

LFOB 23L nil

Jean-Louis,

but the LFOB runways identifiers were not changed in any of the cumulative RadioAids update.
I just have had a look into the replaced file "APX48140.bgl" and I must say that the runway identifiers have changed. With the "RadioAids" file they are now in accordance with the Navigraph data. In other words, just remove the LFOB lines from your "runways.txt" file and the approach procedures will be available again.

BTW, would you mind if I were changing the title of this thread to "EFB does not show approach procedures after installing 'RadioAids'"

Thanks Urs

as LFOB is not at all mentionned in the RadioAids change log (http://www.ivao.fr/dep/RadioAids/RadioA ... ngelog.txt) I assumed the LFOB rwys identifiers were not changed, I was wrong...

"just remove the LFOB lines from your "runways.txt" file and the approach procedures will be available again" I'll try asap

we now have an explanation for the Apch plate issue no longer available when RadioAids is installed. What about the similar SID&STAR issue ?

"would you mind if I were changing the title of this thread to "EFB does not show approach procedures after installing RadioAids"

I would say instead "EFB does not show SID&STAR and/or approach procedures after installing RadioAids"

if you agree please go ahead

Salut Jean-Louis,

LFOB is not at all mentionned in the RadioAids change log
I also had a look at this first and couldn't find an entry for LFOB. So I decided to "dig" a bit deeper ;-).

What about the similar SID&STAR issue ?
I must assume that the situation here is the same.

Maybe it helps to explain how the "runways.txt" file is used by EFB. Whenever a FSX runway identifier is used in conjunction with a Navigraph runway identifier, EFB looks first whether there are some assignments for the related airport in the "runways.txt" file. If an assignment has been found it will always be considered to determine the identifier. EFB doesn't verify whether it is right or wrong.

I would say instead "EFB does not show SID&STAR and/or approach procedures after installing RadioAids"

Done, but I just realized that it must be shortened because of the limited space for a thread title ...