Problems with moving map enabled

I posted about problems where some parts of the EFB window doesn't get updated they way it should when I have the moving map feature enabled and I just discovered another thing and that also explains another questions I had yesterday regarding the IVAO update frequency.

What I found today is that if I have the moving map enabled the time at the bottom of the EFB window that tells you at what time the IVAO data was last refreshed doesn't update but shows the same time all the time until I disable the moving map...then the IVAO refresh time immediately gets updated and shows the latest time the data was refreshed.

Not sure what the deal is with this moving map feature but in my case it seem in some regard it "locks" some part of the EFB window and won't let them update. This is true both for the yellow rectangles indicating if you enabled to show NDBs, traffic etc but also for the bigger "buttons" at the top of the window showing the currently displayed phase of flight...Ground, Departure, Enroute etc.

First I though it might be a problem that my computer doesn't have the muscles but I honestly don't think that is the problem but rather that it is something else that makes the moving map feature consume so much of EFB resources that these other parts of EFB I mentioned don't get the time they need to update.

Would be great if this could be fixed somehow because it's rather annoying when you don't know for sure if you can trust the info you see in the EFB window without first de-activating the moving map.

Richard,

1) Could you post the specifications of that computer?

2) Are they in accordance to the minimum requirements listed here: http://www.aivlasoft.com/products/index.html

3) Did you change the windows colors to sort of "classic-colors"

4) How many other programs and processes are running on that computer

1. It's a HP Mini 110-3110eo with an Intel Atom N455 1.67 GHz and 2 GB RAM and an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

2. Not sure if the CPU might be the culprit here maybe...?

3. Running Windows using the default settings for colors etc

4. On top of EFB I'm running Servinfo, ASE and IvAp

In my opinion Netbooks are pretty much terrible at just being internet browsing devices i.e. there intended purpose, using them for anything that requires any consistent processing power is not recommended. My netbook (ACER AO531 with upgraded 2Gb RAM (waste of money)) takes about 4 minutes to boot from cold/off and about another 6 minutes or so until its finished loading (CPU idle) its default factory installed apps, its crap, really crap.

If you have an external monitor plugged into them (higher res than 1280x600) as well they slow down even more as the integrated GPU's are truly abysmal, they generally struggle playing back 480p video off Youtube and fall flat on their face at 720p.

Well...in my case the netbook actually boots faster than my FSX computer and in general I don't find it as bad as you describe but maybe I should get a faster computer for my extra programs like EFB and so on because I'm starting to like EFB more and more the more I use it so would be nice if it performed the way it was meant to.

• 4 weeks later...

Waking up this old thread to let you know I decided to replace my second computer running EFB so...now I have an ASUS K53SV with a Core i7-2670QM processor, 4 GB RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GT 540M with 2 GB and then I also replaced the standard mechanical HDD only running @ 5400 with an Intel 120 GB SSD 320 series and in a word...WOW what a difference to the better and no more problems with using the moving map and EFB just flies almost faster than my NGX can keep up with :lol:

My FSX rig is starting to cost some serious $ by now but when you get these kind of results where you really notice the improvement and difference I'd say it's worth it !!

So for anyone with similar problems I had...now you know what the cure is :lol: