MSFS AIRAC Database

Trinidad

There is something that I have yet to understand clearly regarding this topic: Every time I start EFB v2 Client, I get the yellow database warning (not up to date). Of course I am aware that - if I understood correctly - the EFB database can only be updated with Navigraph, but this is another topic which I have no interest in (I was a Navigraph subscriber for years with FSX and P3D, but now that MSFS provides AIRACs each month, we should have no need for a Navigraph subscription anymore, whatever the merits).

Why is it that EFB cannot update itself with MSFS AIRACs like - for example - the freeware GTN 750 GPS using MSFS nav database, please? Is this a technical limitation or a licensing issue?

Thank you for clarifying.

Hi Jean-Claude

it is a misunderstanding that MSFS provides the new AIRAC cycle datasets each 28 days, like it is done by Navigraph and Aerosoft. MSFS updates the AIRAC cycle dataset from time to time when it updates the software itself. Apart from that, MSFS uses the NavBlue dataset which is not as complete as the datasets from Lufthansa/LIDO and Jeppesen are. Therefore EFB still relies on the datasets from Navigraph and Aerosoft.

EFB is a tool for several different simulators (FSX, P3D, X-Plane, MSFS) and therefore it has to use a common dataset which is the ARINC-424 coded data files from Jeppesen and Lufthansa/LIDO. Only this way we can provide all the IFR procedures for all the simulators each 28 days.