MSFS AirFile Name Location?

Dane

Hi Dane,

For standard aircraft there is an "aircraft.cfg" in the aircraft package. Within this file the icao_type_designator = "XXXX" can be found. Under normal circumstances the ICAO type designator is used.

There is however an exception. Not all A/C have a text-type aircraft.cfg. Some of them use an encrypted "Cfg.fsarchive", which is not readable. We have found out that so far all default A/C using this encrypted file type use the correct ICAO identifier, which can also be identified here: https://www.icao.int/publications/doc8643/pages/search.aspx 

Unfortunately some Add-On developers do not adhere to this rule and use their own name. Carenado's Mooney Ovation as an example uses non-standard "ovation" for this purpose. We do not have the means to find the correct call-up name for Add-Ons with the "Cfg.fsarchive" type configuration file. If they do not use the standard ICAO code, it's a matte of "trial-and-error" to find the correct code. For the Seminole (as I presume this is the Carenado Seminole) my best guess would be that they use the non-ICAO keyword "seminole". But this is just a rough guess.

HTH

4 hours ago, lonewulf47 said:

Hi Dane,

For standard aircraft there is an "aircraft.cfg" in the aircraft package. Within this file the icao_type_designator = "XXXX" can be found. Under normal circumstances the ICAO type designator is used.

There is however an exception. Not all A/C have a text-type aircraft.cfg. Some of them use an encrypted "Cfg.fsarchive", which is not readable. We have found out that so far all default A/C using this encrypted file type use the correct ICAO identifier, which can also be identified here: https://www.icao.int/publications/doc8643/pages/search.aspx 

Unfortunately some Add-On developers do not adhere to this rule and use their own name. Carenado's Mooney Ovation as an example uses non-standard "ovation" for this purpose. We do not have the means to find the correct call-up name for Add-Ons with the "Cfg.fsarchive" type configuration file. If they do not use the standard ICAO code, it's a matte of "trial-and-error" to find the correct code. For the Seminole (as I presume this is the Carenado Seminole) my best guess would be that they use the non-ICAO keyword "seminole". But this is just a rough guess.

HTH

Thank you Oscar - you were correct.  my Seminole is by Carenado and the name that works in the Profile is seminole.

I actually could not find an aircraft.cfg file - but all is good, thanks to you.

Dane

• 1 year later...