Please stop this!

JerryJet

I got a notification of a new version yesterday but ignored it. Got one today and updated the Server, but it would not do the same for the client. I downloaded the Client v2.1.115 from your website. Started the Client installer which told me build 114 was already installed and did I want to uninstalll it. Yes, I did and clicked the OK box.

I then watched the Aivlasoft uninstaller obliterate my entire Client folder file by file, INCLUDING 3 personal folders created by me which held backup profiles and a number of text files along with some other files. These personal folders and files were not created by the Aivlasoft installer when I originally installed EFB Server and Client.

I've dealt with other installers, updaters, etc which do their work without interferring with any other files or directory structures, so please,  I've asked this in the past and am asking again, would your installers, updaters or whatever please refrain from touching folders and/or files that Aivlasoft did not put there.

Thank you,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I got a notification of a new version yesterday but ignored it. Got one today and updated the Server, but it would not do the same for the client. I downloaded the Client v2.1.115 from your website. Started the Client installer which told me build 114 was already installed and did I want to uninstalll it. Yes, I did and clicked the OK box.

I then watched the Aivlasoft uninstaller obliterate my entire Client folder file by file, INCLUDING 3 personal folders created by me which held backup profiles and a number of text files along with some other files. These personal folders and files were not created by the Aivlasoft installer when I originally installed EFB Server and Client.

If you download the complete installer, then it will always cleanup the target installation folder for obvious reasons. A new installation has to be done into a clean folder, otherwise it might be corrupted before it ever will start for the first time.

If you want to keep your data, then please use the built-in Auto-Update functionality. But if you ignore a prompted update, the next check will only happen the next day. So it is good practice to say "Yes" if an update is indicated. It usually takes just some seconds to update so why postpone it.

I've dealt with other installers, updaters, etc which do their work without interferring with any other files or directory structures, so please,  I've asked this in the past and am asking again, would your installers, updaters or whatever please refrain from touching folders and/or files that Aivlasoft did not put there.

You are very unsatisfied with the way the installer/uninstaller works, but in this described situation it is not the fault of the installer. Let me explain why:

When you install (I guess this is valid for the vast majority of installers) you will be asked WHERE you want to install it. If you select a certain (and therefore dedicated) folder, or you let the installer create a new folder, then this folder is treated as an area where the installer can work at its own discretion. From your post I can read that you have created three own (user) folders into this very same installation folder of EFB?

Would you do the same into C:\Windows and then expect that it remains untouched by the Windows Updates?

On 3/6/2020 at 4:15 AM, aivlasoft said:

If you download the complete installer, then it will always cleanup the target installation folder for obvious reasons. A new installation has to be done into a clean folder, otherwise it might be corrupted before it ever will start for the first time.

Prepar3d, Aerosoft, Feelthere, etc, etc all leave remnants when they uninstall. These remnants are files they did not create or that were modified. Aivlasoft EFB has files in different folders which the user is able to change and/or modify. I don't understand why these user files are not protected in some way. The updater has no problems dealing with a folder which already contains files so "always cleanup ... obvious reasons" does not seem consistent.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:15 AM, aivlasoft said:

If you want to keep your data, then please use the built-in Auto-Update functionality. But if you ignore a prompted update, the next check will only happen the next day. So it is good practice to say "Yes" if an update is indicated. It usually takes just some seconds to update so why postpone it.

Please reread the first two sentences of my original post.

The point I'm trying to make is to protect the user's data. Rename any questionable folder in the install path and let the user decide if his files are important to keep or delete. Updater already does that.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jerry