FSX time of day driven by EFB?

Hi Urs

I am the CEO of cheeseair-va,ch and talked to you last saterday in Hergiswil. I downloaded and installed EFB on a two computer setup; data collector on the FSX PC under Windows 7-64 Bit and the display unit on a second PC with Windows-XP 32-Bit. After some troubles to share the data provider folder on the Windows 7 PC the connection works fine.

I just made a short flight to test EFB and I have three point to ask:

1. EFD changes the FSX time of day to the actual system time; that means that i cannot fly at night with a FSX dayscenery? Is thart correct?

2. I have installed the FSDreamteam addon scenery for LSZH; but I think EFB is displaying the ground chart based on the standard FSX scenery.

3. After installing EFB +- evey 5 minutes FSX is refreshing / reloading the scenery just like FSX would start again.

Thanks

Peter Koller

CEO Cheeseair-va

www.cheeseair-va.ch

Peter,

1. EFD changes the FSX time of day to the actual system time; that means that i cannot fly at night with a FSX dayscenery? Is thart correct?

This is optional. Please see the settings of the 'DataProvider' which can be opened from its menu (Extras - Settings). There is an option called 'Synchronize UTC time'. If you uncheck this option the DataProvider will no longer set the system time to FSX.

2. I have installed the FSDreamteam addon scenery for LSZH; but I think EFB is displaying the ground chart based on the standard FSX scenery.
Did you install the FSDreamteam scenery after the first run of the EFB system or before?

After every change of the FSX data (e.g. Installation of a new scenery or removing a scenery) you MUST start the Data-Update function. The function can be started from the DataProvider's menu bar (FSX Scenery Data Update). If you don't update the internal data, the DataProvider might crash.

It's important to use the 'FSX data update' function after every change of the scenery data. Please see the 'EFB Operation Manual, Section 2, Page 2': Updating FSX data, installing or removing scenery

3. After installing EFB +- evey 5 minutes FSX is refreshing / reloading the scenery just like FSX would start again.
Same as pt. 1 above. The update interval for the UTC time is 5 minutes. If the difference between the FSX internal time and the current system time is too big then the FSX is reloading.

hope this helps,

Urs

Points 1 and 3 are OK; thanks; I unchecked the synchronisation.

Point 2:- for standard FSX airports it is OK.

- for addon sceneries (I have from Aerosoft - Frakfurt and Nizza and from FSDreamteam Zurich and Geneva) i am not sure if it works right for the airport charts when using addon sceneries.

I have the AFX Programm (Airport Facilitator) who can analyse the AFCAD files. I will analys the AFCD files LSZH of the standard scenery and the addon scenery and compare the parking positions and the taxiways with your displayed airport chart.

I will give you a feedback.

Peter

Urs

Regarding the point 2 the situation is the following (LSZH as an example with the base scenery from FSX, the FSDreamteam addon scenery and the MyTrafficX) / all installed before EFB:

1. I assume that you take the parking positions from a .bgl file.

2. For LSZH I have three .bgl files with parking positions:

APX50150.bgl FSX base scenery (scenery layer 52)

BR2_LSZH.bgl MyTrafficX (scenery layer 134)

APX_LSZH.bgl FSDreamteam addon scenery (scenery layer 135)

3. On the ground chart of EFB I think you are using the .bgl file from the base scenery (layer 52) instead of the .bgl file from FSDreamteam with the highest layer number.

The fact is that e.g. terminal A has on one side of the building the following gates:

In EFB A44 A46 A48 -and no ILS RW28

In FsDreamteam A42 A44 A46 A48 A50 - and ILS RW28 included

and EFB Display Unit is showing only A44 A46 A48 with no ILS RW28.

What do you think about?

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

first I would like to thank you for analyzing the problem. It's hard to believe that the EFB doesn't use the *.bgl files with the highest layer. We did many tests with a lot of add-on scenery and we never recognized similar problems. But in any doubt ... the customer is always right ;)

Can you please do the following:

1) run the 'FSX scenery data update' function from the DataProviders menu. This will create all the indexes from scratch. It might take some minutes.

2) After the DataProvider has been restarted, restart the DisplayUnit too. Then check whether the DisplayUnit shows you the gates and the ILS28 from the FSDreamteam scenery.

3) Please send me all the logfiles and the scenery.cfg to 'support@aivlasoft.com'.

The logfiles can be found in the following folder: 'Windows-Start-Menu > All Programs > AivlaSoft > EFB > Logfiles.

The scenery.cfg can be found:

Vista: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

XP-English: C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX

XP-Deutsch: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\[user Name]\Anwendungsdaten\Microsoft\FSX

I'm really curious what the reason for this problem is.

Just to point 3: What could cause a "too much difference" when the computer is running and FSX is running at 1x simulation speed? For me it looks it does that constantly in that interval. I did not fly over time zones just a hour trip and even n ground during taxi it did it twice.

So if unsynchronizing helps that is a solution, but an intermediate.

I like the synch option as I don't have to do it via the FS menu anymore, but maybe it could be more tolerant if FSX is running internally too fast/too slow?

All in all it works very well, no problems except those three mentioned at the top of the thread.

Best

Alexander

Hi,

Just to keep you informed what's going on:

1) The problem with the scenery files could have been analyzed. Thanks to Peter for cooperation and sending me all the files. The problem may occur only under certain circumstances and will be fixed with the next version.

2) Time synchronizing: It seems that FSX tends to a reload as soon as the gap between the FSX internal time and the system time is too big when setting the time/date. Don't have a solution yet, but still testing around. Stay tuned ...

Guest William

Re Time Synchronising - in the registered version of FSUIPC there is an entry on the Miscellaneous tab 'Keep FS clock sync'd'. Would this not sort the problem?

Guest William

That may be the case but as most people have FSUIPC (and will only get the full benefit by paying for and registering it) this is something the individual owner can take care of.