How to share EFB DisplayUnit for 2 simulators (FSX and P3D)

Hi Guys,

Before going farther, I wish all of you a Happy New Year 2017.

After having tried to find an answer through Google, I couldn't solve my issue.

I am running currently EFB DisplayUnit (v1 1.5.15702) on a specific computer and FSX SP2 on another well-fit computer through my local network. This configuration has been working fine for a couple of years now.

I recently started to move to P3D while keeping FSX in working condition. P3D is installed on the same computer as FSX but on a separate SSD under W10. Today I have installed EFB v1. 1.6.8 and latest update.

Now I wish to use the DisplayUnit from my external computer to either FSX or P3D...

How would that be possible ?

I was thinking to install a new fresh UnitDisplay dedicated to P3D but I am scared to mess up files there...

Did someone meet the same situation ? How did you resolve ?

Thanks for any assistance (direct or linked...)

Bruno

post-8591-0-81521700-1483185397_thumb.png

Several clients, I guess as many as you want, can be hooked up to one single DataProvider.

The setup on new clients is the same as you have on your first client, pointing to the same folders on the server. It's basically only a matter of sharing your EFB folders and allow the guest client access to these folders.

A good and easy way to do this is to use Homegroup. By entering the HG password into new clients, they get the necessary access.

Would it be possible to have 2 instances of the DisplayUnit installed on the same computer, launched by 2 different .exe (.exe1 and .exe2 for example).

Each instance should be set to match with the proper parameters, and it would be up to me to select the appropriate .exe according to the selected simulator/SSD.

Not being really familiar wit IT at this level, I would appreciate any type of assistance.

Thanks and again, happy new year

Bruno

image_forum_vatfrance_1483252390_FSXP3D%

folders are folders. Share to access.

I cannot see why both simulators should run at the same time, so it should not cause problems.

Instead of changing folder info each time you change sim, you can make separate user profiles on your client. Log in as admin and create new user account on your client machine/tablet. Each user can have their own saved setup.

Bruno,

from the diagram you provided I see the problem.Although you have two different installations of the DataProvider, you only have one installation of the DisplayUnit. The DisplayUnit is not built for accessing different DataProviders without changing the settings. An idea to solve this could be as follows:

- After the DisplayUnit connects and works properly with one of the DataProviders, quit the DisplayUnit and save the settings file (see the installations manual for the folders and paths)

- Now start the other DataProvider and the DisplayUnit, change the required settings of the DisplayUnit until the connection works. Then quit the DisplayUnit and save the settings file to another location (or with another name) than you did with the first file.

- Now write a simple batch file for FSX and one for P3D which does a simple copy/paste of the required settings file to the DisplayUnits settings path. 

- Before starting the DisplayUnit, run the required batch file to make the DisplayUnit ready for connecting either to FSX or P3D DataProvider.

The DisplayUnit is not built for accessing different DataProviders without changing the settings.

Hi Urs,

That is exactly what I worried... and expected basically !

Your explanation is very clear and I do understand the process. I will try to solve my problem that way, the toughest for me is to write a batch... I am not confident in it!

Thank you very much, and I will keep you posted of the result...

Best regards

Bruno

Bruno,

writing such a batch file is as simple as this:

- open notepad.exe

- write one single line like this:     copy "source" "target"      where source and target is the entire file path like C:\temp\file.txt. Use quotation marks to allow that the path may contain 'blanks'

- save the file as "*.cmd"

thats it.

Hope this helps ... and if not, Google is your friend. Search for "write batch file windows" and you will get a lot of help.

- After the DisplayUnit connects and works properly with one of the DataProviders, quit the DisplayUnit and save the settings file (see the installations manual for the folders and paths)

- Now start the other DataProvider and the DisplayUnit, change the required settings of the DisplayUnit until the connection works. Then quit the DisplayUnit and save the settings file to another location (or with another name) than you did with the first file.

Hi Urs,

I was pretending that it looks simple... Maybe for someone literate, which I am apparently far from beeing  :oops:

I have completed the upgrade of my DisplayUnit existing version 1.5 to 1.6 and update and installed from scratch the latest version of the DataProvider on my new P3D v3 HD. All information are now up to date and everything is working fine. I have tested and EFB is OK and well configured.

My first question is: How to save the setting files? After ending my setup, I closed the DU and  was not requested to save anything. I was expecting a file like a .ini of else... Can you be more specific?

Then you state "save the settings file to another location (or with another name)"... Again I don't see any way to do so.

Sorry to bother, but I am more familiar with the command Save and Save as...  :-P

Thanks in advance

Bruno

Hi Bruno,

EFB automatically saves the settings. As for the filenames and folders, please refer to the "Installation and Configuration manual".

The term "save" was meant as saving a file to a directory of your choice, using Windows Explorer (copy/paste). This is necessary to have the settings file for each of your configurations in a folder from where you can copy/paste it to the folder where EFB expect the files.