Flight progress

Hello Urs,

From EFB manual section 6 page 3 of 4 :

"When the last Departure waypoint or the 1st Enroute waypoint has been passed Progress changes from the Departure chart to the Enroute chart"

Well, but it happens from time to time that the progress change between departure and enroute charts occurs well before the last departure wypt and in this case there is no way to go back to departure when enroute is active.

How can I change that to keep the dep chart activated till the last wypt ? Maybe in the settings but i don't know which ones needs to be corrected.

Best regards

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis,

you can't change this behavior, it's "hard-coded". EFB checks the position of the aircraft every one second and if the position is within a range of approx. 2.5 miles from a waypoint then this waypoint changes to "passed". If an enroute waypoint is too close to a waypoint from the departure section, or the position of the aircraft comes too close to an enroute waypoint it may happen that then the software assumes that you are already flying the enroute part of the route.

Bonjour Urs,

Thanks very much for your crystal-clear answer to my question.

"....within a range of approx 2,5 miles from a wypt then this wypt changes to passed..."

Yes "approx" is the word, except the range of 2,5 miles might become much much greater !!

Just flew the WAL1R departure from EGCC : the last depart wypt WAL is 34NM from EGCC but depart chart changes to enroute well before reaching the 2,5 NM range to/from WAL !

Is there a way in EFB program to make sure the distance of 2.5 NM minimum between a/c and wypt is the main criteria to make the flight progress changing from departure to enroute ?

Thank you

Jean-Louis

Bonjour Urs,

"What aircraft do you fly?"

Does it matter ?

I'm flying Concorde, complying with the 250kts speed limitation below 10000 ft.

Salutations

Jean-Louis

PS will send the EFB route asap via PM

Hello Urs,

Just found what might be the beginning of an explanation....

- Let's enter the following ATS route description and activate it :

EHAM DCT LEKKO UN872 MEDIL UN872 KOVIN UY317 RESMI UN857 LMG UN10 ENSAC UP181 MAGEC DCT LFBZ

- let's choose the SID rwy 24 EHAM South depart : LEKO1S and activate, the corresponding SID is included in the route setup

Now observe the route setup window : LEKKO is the last wypt of LEKOS1S SID. The first following wypt is LARAS on UN872.

Now let's modify the route : LEKKO is still an enroute wypt instead of being the last wypt of LEKO1S SID !!

That means if I don't remove LEKKO as an enroute wypt and reconstruct the full LEKO1S SID, the flight progress change from departure to enroute chart will take place well before LEKKO.... CQFD/QED.

Same problem concerning the LFBZ North STARs : MAGE3B, MAGE3L, MAGE3V. MAGEC won't be part of the choosen STAR except you don't remove it from enroute wypts and reconstruct the STAR.

What do you think about ?

Best regards

Jean-Louis

bonjour Jean-Louis,

Due to the fact that a waypoint cannot be defined twice in a route (one after the other), EFB keeps the entire enroute part and drops the last waypoint from a SID (or the first from a STAR respectively) if they are identical.

LEKKO is still an enroute wypt instead of being the last wypt of LEKO1S SID
There is no "instead" ... The route you describe starts with LEKKO as the first enroute waypoint. LEKKO is also the last waypoint from "LEKO1S" (hence the name of the procedure). If this SID is added to the route then LEKKO is dropped from the SID to keep LEKKO as the first enroute waypoint as described above. EFB will never add/remove any waypoints from the enroute part automatically.

Thank you Urs !

I just provided the above comment not to underline any EFB dysfunction but to explain why the flight progress changes that quickly from dep to enroute chart as soon as the first enroute wypt is the last SID wypt.

By removing this wypt from enroute, deleting and reconstructing the proper SID, the chart change is normal, it just occurs when it's planned to occur, and that's fine !

Best regards

Jean-Louis