No connection over network

I have installed the Data Provider on my computer with FSX (OS=Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit) and the Display Unit on a second PC (OS=Vista 64 bit).

The Display Unit recognizes the server name but it will not accept the folder name with the Data Provider files. It always says that the folder does not contain the Data Provider files, even though it does.

The network is functioning correctly. I have allowed the software access through the firewall. The port numbers are identical etc. etc.

After I have entered the folder name on the Display Unit, the fault message appears after I press the OK button

The log file is as follows:

2010-06-01 17:21:26,528 [1] INFO AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit [(null)] - Application started: AivlaSoft.Efb.DisplayUnit, Version=1.1.0.23866, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=953442301537c18c

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

Terry,

did you first run the DataProvider so that it can create its index files? If you try to set the DataProviders folder in the DisplayUnit's settings before the DataProvider has created the index files the error message is correct since then the folder doesn't contain the files that are needed.

Please have look into this folder (on your FSX machine)

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider

This folder should contain some files named from "a.efb" to "m.efb".

Hoi Urs

You were correct. These files were missing.

I have re-installed and the index files are now in the folder.

However, under Windows 7 the C: drive is protected and under normal circumstances cannot be shared.

I now need to know which files and folders I must move to another drive (e.g. D:) so they can be shared, and where on the drive they must be located?

New folder?

I have temporarily copied the files to my drive D: and the Display Unit on the remote PC seems to start but it then hangs showing the message "Connecting".

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Terry,

moving the files to another location is just a temporary solution. After the next "FSX scenery data update" you must not forget to move all the files again from C:\ ... to D:\ (or wherever you placed them).

I'm with you if you mean that C:\Program files is a folder which will be treated in a secure manner, but in my opinion (and also based on my experience) the "Local Application Data" folder can be shared without problems.

Please navigate to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\AivlaSoft\EFB\AivlaSoft.Efb.DataProvider using the Windows-Explorer, then right-click on this folder (in the left pane of the explorer) to see the context sensitive menu. Do you see "Share with" > "Specific people"

Hi Urs,

I have tried to complete your suggestion.

I can add specific people or everyone and it says "Your folder is shared".

However, when I exit and return the folder is locked once again.

I have sharing turned on in the Network and Sharing Centre.

When I use Advanced sharing under the Properties, I can allow permissions to everyone, but when I return the folder is again locked.

I still cannot access any of the C: drive on the Windows 7 PC from the remote computer. I always receive the message "Access denied".