FSX CTDs by EFB?

Hello Urs,

i'm in a real struggle with my FSX. A few month ago I did a fresh install on a new Win7/64-system. My goal was to install every addon (and there are a lot of them) as clean as possible with the latest updates and patches step-by-step to prevent any problems. Even the Win7-UAC is deactivated and i'm on admin-level.

First i was very confident that i have a very well configured system and Win7 works perfectly stable.

But sadly after a while i have to realize that one of two flights (or even more) end with a sudden CTD. EFB is crashing too because of the interrupted Simconnect-connection.

It may happen with any aircraft (Wilco A320, DA Fokker, Wilco 737 etc.) at any time at any place. Suddenly FSX freezes and crashes. The (now in german:) "Ereignisanzeige" only shows me an appcrash with no further details. I also used Filemon to get a clue what could be the problem, But this tool only confused me more.

Yesterday i was on the way with the new FSL Concorde-X from EGLL-KJFK. Right at the US east coast FSX crashed again - oh dear! I reloaded the flight from a save (done a few minutes before the crash) and tried the approach at JFK again and again but 3 times FSX crashed with EFB. So i did my approach without EFB and it worked - hmmm. After that i did 2 flights (online) without EFB and experienced also no problems at all.

So now i suspect very much that the EFB may cause my CTD-problems. Is that possible?

I noticed that EFB (or .Net) takes a lot of RAM (around 400-500 MB) but that should be no problem with my installed 4GB (mostly 500-800 MB unused). I'm also running Active Sky Evolution and Ultimate Traffic 2. Those Addons also communicate via Simconnect with FSX. Maybe there is some kind of an overload on Simconnect. Is that possible?

Well i'm kind of desperate because the EFB is an absoltely great piece of software and i won't miss it anymore. But right now it's just no joy to spend my time with FSX crashing at the TOD or - even worse - fully configured on the ILS. Do you have any idea to sort that problem out. I would like to help you out with any logfiles you may need.

Best regards

Ingo

Ingo,

first of all thanks for your detailed report. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I'm with you if you say that this is a very bad behavior of ... say SimConnect. Unfortunately there is no one of the developers of SimConnect available anymore so we cannot ask them. Bad luck. The only thing that we can do is trying to find the problem by "trial and error". You mentioned that other programs like ActiveSky and TrafficX are running at the same time. Do they also crash? I suggest to try the next few flights without them just to see whether the problem still occurs even if only EFB is running.

• 1 month later...

Hello Urs,

i got some good and bad news. 1st the good: no more CTDs in FSX, the bad: only without the EFB.

After more than two dozen flights without the EFB on different planes and to destinations all over the world i can now confirm that my frequent CTDs are definitely connected to the EFB. I had 2-3 Crashes but those were related to add-on aircrafts (FMCs and stuff). I'm sure that the whole simcoonect thing is the cause for all that, but that was discussed on the other thread.

So i'm really sad that i can't use your truly great software anymore without risking an appcrash. So i have to dig out my PDF-charts for online flights. What a pity.

Bye

Ingo

Ingo,

What can I say? Nothing. My hands are tied. I know that the problem is not only due to EFB, it is in combination with some other circumstances, but they are unknown to me, unfortunately. SimConnect is throwing an exception, but this exception is not documented (...). SimConnect is used by many other add-ons and some of them also have their problems. No one will maintain the code of SimConnect and therefore we will have to live with that. Fact. It's a sad story and I would have liked to be able to change it.