Simroute .PLN's

Hi Admins,

I have completed 4 or 5 successful flights now in the USA using EFB tracking them. It is a very well thoughtout application!

However I have one request or question and a comment. I have well over 100 saved .pln flight plans in the default fsx flight plan folder. I have used these .pln's for years before EFB. I generated and saved these directly to the fsx folder using the excellent online flight planner tool called simroutes.

It finds routes that a match the actual routes flown and or it allows you to custom enter one from the actual route flown and save it. The save option allows you to save planned routes in many formats. I have always selected to save them in FSX format. Unfortunately when I try to load these in EFB using the DsiplayUnits FSX option they are not recognized in xml format. I use these .pln's for every addon aircraft FMC and GPS I have. But they do not work with EFB. So I am foced to create new flight plans by hand one fix at a time modifying routes in EFB to match what is loaded in my FMC's. It's a slow process that seems unecessary when I have all these plans saved already that load fine with my FSX aircraft.

Can you look into the possibilty of getting these non xml "type" .PLN plans to load up in EFB?

A side comment:

I had one flight from KBOS to KMCO using EFB that after an hour or so into the flight I kept experiencing fsx pause to loading scenery.... then in 5-10 seconds it would reload scenery again.... it kept doing it over and over. I had to exit out of EFB and it stopped doing it.

Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

it seems that these FS(X)-flight plans are actually FS9 *.pln files. Currently the only way to get them into EFB is to read them by the FSX flight planner (which is able to read FS9 plans) and then save them as real FSX plans. The next version of EFB will have the possibility to also read FS9 plans.

I kept experiencing fsx pause to loading scenery
This behavior seems to be the time synchronization between the computers and the FSX internal clock. You may switch-off this feature by deselection of the corresponding option (DataProvider > Settings > Miscellaneous > "Synchronize ..."

Hi Bob,

FS9 generated flightplans indeed can't be loaded directly into EFB. However there is a simple solution for this, and somewhere (in a post or in the manual), Urs gave a good solution for this: Load this flightplan into the FSX-flightplanner and the save it under the same name. Then you can load the fresh saved flightplan into EFB.

There is another issue though. A flightplan, generated with Flightsim Commander as a Flightsimulator Flightplan can also not loaded into EFB. You can use the same work-around, described above. Then you can load this flightplan into EFB. But....there is one problem: Flightsim Commander cannot load this flightplan anymore, which is very funny. I already noticed that apparently, FSC (also the newest version) saves its flightplans in a FS9-format.

Bob, couls you tell me, whether you use FSC for creating flightplans?

Henk

Hi Henk,

I apologize for the late reply. I use http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/showplans.aspx for finding good routes, or creating actual routes by selecting STARS, SIDS and enroute fixes. You can also generate manually a complete route one fix at a time as well. Simroutes then gives you the option to save these plans in a number of formats. From FS2002, FS2004 (FS9), FSX, PMDG, Level D 767, FSinn and more. I always select FSX and save to my default FSX flight plan folder. These plans load perfectly in all my addon FMC's and default aircrafts GPS. But they wouldn't load in EFB. I did use the simple "trick you described above by loading into the FSX flight planner, saved it using the same name. It then does load in EFB but unfortunately now it isn't recognized by my EagleSoft Citation X FMC, my favorite aircraft. I haven't tried it with my other addon aircraft FMC's yet....will advise. However I assume I could choose my .PLN flight plan saved from simroutes, load it into the FSX flight planner and save it with a KBOS-KLGA_EFB.PLN name. Would that keep the original KBOS-KLGA_X.PLN for my Eaglesoft Citation X?

A little cumbersome but still faster than hand entering them all over again. Thanks for the tip next time I will spend more time reading through the forum before posting.

Regards

Bob

Bob,

That's right and for now, it's the only possibility. Disadvantage: you have to save the same flightplan, with different names twice in the FlightsimX file folder. But you did find out the right way. I have to do the same with Flightsim Commander. Perhaps it could be fixed in a next version of EFB.

Regards

Henk

Gents,

If the route string is available in FSCmdr, it can be copied and pasted into EFB - losing only the cruise altitude value....

For example, this route that FSCmdr generated for me just now:

KJFK SKORR1.RNGRR CYN J209 VILLS J79 CHS J174 MILIE J121 CRG J113 DEARY BLUFI1.MLB KMIA

The only (slight) problem here being if the AIRACs for both products were out of sync somehow....

Regards.