Data Provider error

I need some direction here

I am running P3D v3 and my home airport is Halifax (CYHZ). I have an new addon design and the files are loaded in addon scenery/scenery. I ALSO have ORBX "free" NA Airports loaded but I have taken care to delete the CYHZ references in that application. Halifax has undergone improvements over the past few years with the main runway lengthened and the runways designations changed to 5/23, 14/32 from 6/24, 15/33.

When I load P3D I get the new design, however when I load EFB the data provider is getting an "old" Halifax airport from somewhere and despite the P3D visual being correct, EFB has the old designations without any of the improvements

I DO NOT HAVE the same issue using FSX and EFB

I have searched everywhere trying to locate the old file without success. 

Any suggestions? 

Mike

Hi Mike,

first of all, did you mean P3D v3 or v4? I'm just asking because you are talking about 'addon' which usually points to the new configuration system of P3D v4. Thanks for clarification.

You also may send me the DataProvider log files to 'support@aivlasoft.com' so I can have a look into them.

Hi URS:

I am running P3D v3 and operating the DataProvider on the same PC as the FlightSim while the DisplayUnit is running on my Laptop using Dawson's WIDE FSUIPC as the link module.

I have attached a file from each of the units for a flight plan from CYHZ to CYWG. As you can see. the Flight plan failed to load and as well the CYHZ.bmp shows the runway designations as the old numbers.

Using ScuffyDuck's Airport Design Editor, I was able to pinpoint the P3D v3 location for the default CYHZ airport (\scenery\0302\scenery) APX31160 .bgl . My addon scenery is overriding the default in P3D v3 but perhaps it doesn't in EFB

Thanks for you effort here.

Mike

CYHZ error.jpg

CYHZ.bmp

Hi Mike,

ok, it seems that we have different failures.

The first seems to be that the DataProvider does not recognize the new CYHZ airport and therefore it is using the stock airport. Because of that the runway assignments are not correct (yellow 'bulbs' in the DataProvider's window).

The second is that the DataProvider cannot forward the GPS flight plan to P3D (the red 'bulb').

The first problem most probably is due to a faulty entry in the scenery.cfg. Please verify that the path for the new CYHZ airport, which is listed in the scenery.cfg, agrees with the location where the airport is actually installed. It must be a folder which is named 'scenery'. Once the new airport is recognized by the DataProvider, the yellow 'bulbs' should no longer appear, assuming the new airport is using the new runway identifiers.

The second problem is because of a faulty path to the flight plans folder in the DataProvider's settings. Usually it should be like "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files". It's the folder where P3D v3 saves its own flight plans (created with the P3D Flight Planner).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your follow up Urs.

I agree there are TWO issues. The Fight Plan was prepared on SIMBRIEF and saved to the correct folder. It is the 1st time I have experience an issue with them and I have posted an inquiry on their forum

Respecting my home airport, (CYHZ) I have the two files (CYHZ_ADEP3_RWC.bgl and CYHZ_ADEP3_RWC_CVX.bgl) loaded in Addon Scenery\Scenery within P3D v3. I also have another up dated Canadian Airport, Calgary (CYYC) loaded in that folder. in BOTH CASES, even though the DataProvder shows it is reading the Addon Scenery folder, the Display Unit shows the default airport. It may be that P3D handles these addons differently than FSX.

I even went into the default Scenery 0302 and deleted the Halifax default (APX31160.bgl) resulting in the EFB DisplyUnit failing to open when I was at a Halifax gate.

I have wasted enough of your time, so leave it with me and I will continue to research. I am also deep into the AivlaSoft .pdf documentation. LOL :)

Thanks for looking at this. Appreciated!

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I even went into the default Scenery 0302 and deleted the Halifax default (APX31160.bgl) resulting in the EFB DisplyUnit failing to open when I was at a Halifax gate.

Please do not delete the stock files. This can lead to severe problems. EFB can handle add-on airports without the need of deleting stock scenery.

EFB is reading the "scenery.cfg" from the folder which is set in the DataServer's settings. Assuming that your add-on airport is properly listed in this scenery.cfg, the DataProvider will analyze and add it to the EFB database. It is also required that any BGL file which shall be analyzed, must be in a folder which is named "scenery", and the BGL file must be recognized as a valid FSX airport file (0x0201).

Thank you. I reinstalled APX31160.bgl back into its correct position in the P3Dv3 program

Just so I am clear, I run both FSX and P3Dv3 with your AivlaSoft program and I have added the new airport configurations for Halifax (CYHZ) and Calgary (CYYC) to each flight sim 

FSX

The new .bgl files for both Halifax and Calgary, which involve new runway designations AS WELL as NEW construction, are in ...FSX\Addon Scenery\Scenery

IN BOTH cases, AivlaSoft DataProvider is loading and the DisplayUnit is showing the NEW AIRPORT configurations.

P3D v3

I have followed the proper procedure according to P3D v3 instructions for adding scenery. I created an "Addon Scenery\scenery folder within the P3D v3 program and placed all the new .bgl files in that folder.

My P3D SCENERY.CFG file now reads

[Area.146]
Title=Scenery
Local=E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Addon Scenery\Scenery
Layer=146
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

When I run the data update for the AivlaSoft Data provider, it sees this folder without difficulty AND when I OPEN my P3D v3 Flight Simulator, the new airports are installed with new runways, correct runway designations and new taxiways. 

HOWEVER..when I open the DisplayUnit, for both Halifax and Calgary, I only get the default airports. For Halifax I get this error window in the Display unit:

"Runway assignment warning for

CYHZ-Stanfield Intl

Please see DataProvider's window"

and of course in the DataProvider Window I get 4 lines with the yellow dot "Navigation data runway ident 05 (14,23,32) at airport CYHZ could not be assigned to simulator runway."

So in conclusion, everything works fine with FSX and EFB but not with P3Dv3. I get a correct visual in the P3D flight simulator but the DataProvider and Display Unit continue to show the default airports

Please understand, I am not complaining and I can live with this issue in the EFB. However it is a conundrum which unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge to solve.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

thank you for your detailed report. This is much appreciated.

The only thing that I can think of is that (to my best knowledge) in P3D are two different 'scenery.cfg' existing. One of them is in the installation folder (which is not the right scenery.cfg), the other one is in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3". This is the right one to use.

Now it depends on which scenery.cfg did you use for your additions. The DataProvider is reading that one which is listed in the DataProvider's settings.

Thank you for your time.

[Area.146]
Title=Scenery
Local=E:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Addon Scenery\Scenery
Layer=146
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

The quote above from my previous response, is definitely from the correct Scenery.cfg. file with the path C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3. While the DataProvider is loading this file, for whatever reason it does't display for P3Dv3

Again, thanks for your effort and if you do discover something, I hope you will update me.

Regards,

Mike

I just loaded another airport that has had several changes over the past years, Washington Dulles (KIAD). There is a new runway 01L/19R and the original 01L/19R has been renumbered to 01C/19C. There are of course new taxiways involved.

I got the design free from AVSIM Library and it is specifically labelled for P3D. I installed the 2 .bgl files as instructed, (in folder Addon Scenery\scenery) ran my DataProvider update, and then opened my Flight Sim P3D v3. I am located at a gate on the new airport.

However, once again the DisplayUnit is showing the old default KIAD and then I thought---since my Display is on a different computer maybe I don't have the most up-to-date version

My current Display Unit was loaded when I was using FSX and it is v1.6.5.18357. IS THAT A CURRENT VERSION? 

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

v1.6.5.18357. IS THAT A CURRENT VERSION? 

No!

You can always get the latest installer (complete and update) from my website: http://www.aivlasoft.com/download/index.html

It's highly recommended to always update to the latest version.

Since you still have the 1.6.5 version, please run the uninstaller first, before you run the complete installer for 1.6.14.

I didn't think that the version might be the cause.  Sorry, but the obvious things are always thought last.

18 hours ago, aivlasoft said:

didn't think that the version might be the cause.  Sorry, but the obvious things are always thought last.

Urs:

LOL.

I uninstalled v 1.6.5.18356 and installed the updated 1.6.14.13978 and Voilà PROBLEM SOLVED!

Perhaps it wasn't the version but maybe a corrupt file. Or maybe my old version was compatible with P3D v2 but not v3. Nevertheless my new addon airports in Addon Scenery\scenery are now displayed PERFECTLY

My sincerest apologies! Thanks for you patience and great service. I learned a lot from this experience.

By the way, I was surprised that a a complete re-installation didn't ask for my product key. Just an FYI

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to read that everything now works as expected.

By the way, I was surprised that a a complete re-installation didn't ask for my product key. Just an FYI

Uninstalling will not remove your license file from the computer, therefore it is still there when it comes to the license validation.

• 3 weeks later...