DisplayUnit will not connect after changing ISP

Hello,

Well here's a new one. I have been using AivlaSoft for sometime with great success while on DSL through my router with an internet type of PPPoE.

I have changed my ISP to Cable with an internet type of Obtain an IP auto.

My home network has not changed, however I am not able to make a connection through TCP with the dataprovider any more. I have tested this theory by unplugging the cable moden, and I can connect to the dataprovider through TCPIP. Cable moden turned on, and I'm not able to connect.

Somehow the cable provider is doing something to my network that prevents me from getting to my other computer. I have linksys router and have been playing with the settings all morning but with no luck. I have even tried port range forwarding, but that did not work.

Any help will be great

Thanks,

Ray

Problem solved. The issue was the ISP had a computer name the same name that my DataProvider is named. 'homepc' Go figure. So changing my computer named solved the problem. This would have been fixed sooner, by changing the DisplayUnit's to use IP address (which I tried), but forgot to change the other parameters that go with it...like FSX location and datafiles. Glad I did not because then I would have had to give my computer a static IP address.

So long story short gave my computer a name other than homepc...and problem fixed.

Travis, thanks for all the help!!

-Ray

Ray,

If by "help" you mean "scratching my head and mumbling aloud," then no problem. :-) I'm glad that you got it sorted out.

Now that you've explained what was happening, I can almost see it occurring. I hadn't considered that a dns server would be involved in resolving a local computer name... but lacking a local WINS server I guess that must be possible.

This would make an excellent FAQ entry... how were you able to determine that your ISP was resolving "homepc"? Was that the IPv6 address you were seeing??

Regards,

Travis,

What was happening was that when I ping homepc from my laptop nothing happened and it timeout. After we talked and you suggested to disable IPv6 that's when I saw what was happening. I first tried to disable IPv6 from the internet protocol and that did nothing...samething. So digging a little more I found that I needed to disable IPv6 from the network adapter, which requires three disable features or options.

After truly disabling IPv6 I pinged homepc again, and that's when I saw it was resolving to the ISP's DNS, I was getting a 208... IP address back. So then I knew if I changed my other compute's name it should be ok...and it was. I enabled IPv6 back and all seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again,

Ray

What fun :D