runways.txt and Peter's new MakeRunways 4.679

Hi all,

I was missing some approaches at EDDE, some ILS Data was wrong at EDDP and EDDK.

The reason was that within the runways.txt of the EFB those data were not included or just old.

I just updated all those Airports usingg ADE and recreated the runway.txt using Peter's MakeRunways as usual.

Now every other AddOn has all the approaches and such in there again, except the Aivla EFB.

It throws lots of format errors now.

I guess the EFB can not digest the output of the actual MakeRunways 4.679 properly.

Two questions:

1- How can I fix those missing approaches and outdated airports now for the EFB ?

2- How we are supposed to update the runways.txt regularily after changing Scenary Data, if MakeRunways is not the proper tool for that task? The famous FSC has no problems parsing the output of MakeRunways 4.679.....

This issue is a show stopper (->Deal Breaker - I'm still on trial for 4 days to come) for me.

Updating a separate runways.txt manually for the EFB every time something is changed in my scenery data is simply a no go for a otherwise very nice product.

My expectation was, that the Data Provider, while scanning the FSX scenery database, would build a proper runways.txt for use with the display units. Obviously it does not as my tests revealed (probably it just saves that runway.txt to a wrong location???)

pls adv

Stephan aka Harlekin

Kind of solved...

I just pulled back the Runways.txt from my Backup and studied the Manual again regarding this topic.

1- The Format of the Aivla EFB Runways.txt has nothing in common with Pete's Runways.txt. Using this Filename is VERY misleading 'cause Pete's Runways.txt created by MakeRwys.exe is used in several major AddOns and has a distinct format and use. Pls change that in V2.

2- The content of this file specifies EXCEMPTIONS for the EFB only. If a AP is listed in there this data take precedence above what ever may be in the FSX Nav-Database or Airac Data.

My Problem with EDDP was that the EFB Runways.txt reflected a rather old situation where EDDP just has only one proper runway to use.

Actually EDDP has been reworked in the real world as well as in the Scenery Data and Airac Data several time.

Nowaday EDDP has two full fledged CAT3 runways 08 R/L and 26 R/L.

German Airports 2 has the proper Airport Model already but not the actual ILS Frequences included. (They have changed by OCT 2014 way after the release of GA2 and AS did no update by now AFAIK).

I have updated the EDDP .BGL file by my self using ADE and the FSX(P3D) SDK to reflect the current situation at EDDP.

How ever since the EFB Runways.txt had the old config of EDDP still in there, those changes were not reflected in the EFB.

The solution was just to delete the entries for the EDDP excemptions in the EFB's Runways.txt because my FSX Nav Data, Navigraph Airac and Airport Scenery are in sync now and those corrective entrys are not needed any longer. Actually I deleted all the entries by now and will fix upcomming conflict messages by the Data Provider when they appear..

Four things to suggest:

1- The Airport Database Details Dialog mentioned in the Data Provider Manual section is not described in the Data Unit Section as stated and I was not able to find that one at all. Pls update the Manual so one can find that AP details dialog properly.

2- Changing a .TXT file manually is something that not everybody will feel comfortable with. A simple Dialog to maintain those excemptions would help a lot.

3- Deleting the Runways.txt throws an Error on the Data Provider everytime one tries to get certain Airport Data. Unfortunately there is no option to create an empty Runways.txt to solve that error message. I guess (not tested yet) just creating an empty Runways.txt wolud silence this error message. My suggestion would be to just create an empty one automatically if it is not there.

4- What about putting in some intelligence? During the gathering of Scenery Data (done by the Data Provider) it should be possible to find all conflicts at once. When a conflict is found an empty entry may be written into the Runways.txt to be completed by the user. And of course any excemption in there, that is no longer needed because there is no conflict found for that airport, should be removed (commented) as well. This way I would have never run in that problem at all 'cause the Data Provider would have removed the false EDDP excemptions as soon as the conflict between Scenery Data and Airac was solved by me.

Cheers and fly safe

Stephan aka Harlekin

Hi Stephan,

thank you for your suggestions. As you might have missed, the development for EFB v1 has been freezed by the begin of last year. Since then no changes have been made neither to the code nor to the manuals nor to the installer. For EFB v2 I'm working on another solution for the runway assignment problem.

What about putting in some intelligence? During the gathering of Scenery Data (done by the Data Provider) it should be possible to find all conflicts at once.

I have worked on such an algorithm but there are still a few airports at which the algorithm cannot automatically assign the correct runway identifiers because the situation between the simulator scenery and the r/w AIRAC cycle data is too different. If you know the algorithm, feel free to write to me, I'm open for any help in this regard.