METAR help needed

The usual setup is FSX+EFB+ActiveSky (+IVao when online), which I expect to be quite common to lot of simmers.

"Active Sky data file" in EFB is not active, but anyhow I would expect that EFB would be fed with METAR's from FSX (which is fed by AS).

Nevertheless, EFB does not provide any FSX METARs.

Is this systematic, or do I do something wrong (in the overexcitement brought by 1.3.1)?

PS:

1. I did read EFB manual before asking. Maybe inattentive, but not lazy at least.

2. where the ActiveSky data files are found in order to correctly point the "Active Sky data file" option?

Hi Abax,

(Please set your first name in your forum signature or "sign" your posts so we know to whom we're addressing. Thanks. :))

Depending on your OS, your Active Sky data file could be in your Active Sky installation folder but most likely it is in your User Application Data area. Search for a file named current_wx_snapshot.txt.

On XP it might be found at: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\HiFi\XEngine\ASX\Weather

On Vista/W7 it might be at: C:\USERS\[username]\APPDATA\ROAMING\HIFI\XENGINE\ASX\WEATHER

As for FSX weather, if your EFB Display Unit is connected to your FSX (with the green LED icon in your EFB Status/Time area) then FSX weather should be available.

Now with that said, not all FSX airports are capable of weather reporting, and even then, not all weather reporting capable airports will always report weather through FSX. (At times, FSX will only return weather data for a few hundred miles around your aircraft, and at other times, FSX will return world-wide weather. If I recall correctly, AS sets weather inside of FSX for a 200nm radius around your aircraft.)

And even then, there are times where FSX will simply not return valid weather data through SimConnect.

So if you set up at a large modern airport (EHAM for instance) and request FSX weather... well FSX should have weather for EHAM. And if you're at EHAM, you should be within any "weather bubble radius" that FSX or AS might set.

So if FSX does not report valid EHAM weather to EFB when you are at EHAM then we must assume a temporary techincal problem in the simulated world (that will likely be "corrected" the next time you fly) and EFB should be set to use ActiveSky (or REX) or NOAA weather for the current flight.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

The original issue is closed; everything works as described in your answer. It must have been what you described as "temporary techincal problem in the simulated world" (sic).

When using Ivao connection (and no other weather reporting tool), I think that sometimes I don't get the METAR I see in Ivap, but most probably downloaded from NOAA, although "Weather Provider" drop menu is on FSX setting.

Can it be like this?

When using Ivao connection (and no other weather reporting tool), I think that sometimes I don't get the METAR I see in Ivap, but most probably downloaded from NOAA, although "Weather Provider" drop menu is on FSX setting.

Can it be like this?

Short of saying "anything's possible," I would have to leave this to an online pilot or controller to answer.

Guest William

No - the EYE picks it up immediately the FP is submitted to IVAN and the same with EFB - you need to click modules/metar to see it (at least that's what I do - have finished reading the manual yet).