Problems and Maybe Solutions

Hi

I really like simplecam and may buy.  I have the demo at present. I'm using P3D 3.4 and have encountered some problems which I may have solved but would still like some help.

1. I have to load simplecam manually after loading P3D as it will not automatically start when I start P3D even with the auto start box ticked

2. For all addon planes so far except PMDG 737NGX all my saved views are there as normal 

3.But oddly simplecam was not showing my PMDG 737NGX saved views if I loaded simplecam before the NGX went through its 17 sec or so loading sequence. If I load simplecam after the NGX is fully loaded then I can see my saved views.

All very strange but usable I think

Any help or suggestions please

Many Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug,

1) If you tick the option "Start SimpleCam when simulator is starting" the configuration program is trying to update the file "exe.xml" which is located at "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\". This file contains information about programs which shall be started along with the simulator. This is by design of the simulator. Can you verify the file is available and it has an entry for SimpleCam?

2 / 3) In order the work properly, SimpleCam must make sure that the "Standard.xml" file which holds all the keyboard and joystick button assignments, has no assignments for the numeric keypad. This is achieved by pressing the button "Delete key assignments" in the corresponding tab in the configuration program. This will first create a backup of current Standard.xml, then it will remove all numeric keypad assignments and save the file.

I guess you pressed this button for the first time when the configuration program started (for details please refer to the manual).

Maybe some keyboard assignments have been manually changed since the creation of the backup file?

Maybe this thread can help:

http://aivlasoft.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2401-unable-to-save-new-views/

Hi 

Thanks for your reply

I have reinstalled simple cam. Ticked the automatic start box and  deleted key assignments. Numeric keypad entries are still showing up in my standard.xml file and my exe.xml has no entry for simple cam. Maybe simple cam is not finding my \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 exe.xml or standard.xml when it installs. However In the Controls folder I do have a removedkeys.txt and a standard.xml.simplecambackup so it is finding this folder ok. I thought it might be a simconnect issue but if I can get simplecam working that seems to rule that out. 

All this is strange as I said I can get it working albeit with a bit of fooling around. 

Thanks again

Doug

Hi Doug,

Numeric keypad entries are still showing up in my standard.xml file ...

This is correct. SimpleCam does only remove the numeric keys in the 'keyboard' section and not in the 'slew' or other sections.

Maybe simple cam is not finding my \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 exe.xml or standard.xml when it installs ...

The folder for the exe.xml is the parent folder of the folder for the standard.xml. It's taken from the path which must be given by the user before pressing the "Delete key assignments" button in the configuration.

Because you wrote that you found the two files 'removedkeys.txt' and 'standard.xml.simplecambackup' it's obvious that the configuration program found the file. Now the question is whether the exe.xml file is really existing in the parent folder (  \AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3) or not, and whether the configuration program has enough access rights to change the file. Another cause could be that the exe.xml file is locked by another program when the configuration program is trying to update it.