VHHX and EFB how to?

Howdy,

I used the forum search feature to see if this was already posted, but it returned 0 results so here it goes:

Is there a way to add (maybe manually) VHHX - Kai Tak to the navaid database in order to use approach, arrival and departure charts?

Thanks in advance.

Yes that would be possible to do as it would for any airport.

I'm going to rattle a few items off of the top of my head that would be needed.

1. The airport would need FSX-usable scenery in standard BGL format - runways, parking, communication services (Ground, Tower, Approach, etc.) ILS and other navaids, etc. The FlyTampa scenery would be a good example, but there may be freeware (or personally created) scenery that would need to be installed. (Amended - I'm assuming that the default FSX VHHX scenery isn't very compatible with real-world charts. Maybe I'm wrong though....)

2. The airport and its runways would need to be defined in the NavData files published by Navigraph.

3. The runways / STARs / SIDs / Approaches together with the necessary fixes to support them would need to be defined in the SIDSTAR format published by Navigraph.

I've done items 1 and 3 for "new" airports that don't exist in FSX, and have even done item 3 for tiny little airports that must not have qualified for attention otherwise. So I've not had to work with the NavData files.

The major issue with adding data to the NavData files - which is why I've not worked with airports that need this - is that EFB reads them whenever it detects that a new version has been installed. EFB can be "tricked" into thinking that a new version has been installed, but it would have to be "tricked" each time you install a new AIRAC.

If you are still interested in this, please respond and I will attempt to walk through the steps on my machine and document them. (I'll need to find a freeware scenery first, then some r/w charts to make the SIDSTAR data from.)

Do give me a few days to do so however, as I am running Oakland Center solo in limited support of Zurich Center for the new 1.2.0 version of EFB. :)

And according to the forum rules, please sign your posts with your real first name.

Regards,