two quick questions for a newbie

I downloaded the demo and am running efb on 1 computer

Here are my questions

im running fsx in window mode

1 Everytime i switch to the efb window i loose sound in the sim, can i fix this somehow.

2 Is there a way to refresh the moving map window. It seems to lag the actually location ( ie the position is not real time).

Perhaps it is not meant to be a real moving map but rather a general indicator of position?

Thoughts?

Peter

Hello Peter, glad to have you on board!

In answer:

1. No fix possible - that's the way FSX is. If it's not the "topmost window" then you do not hear its sounds. If you do not have a 2nd computer to run the EFB Display Unit, this is a necessary evil.

2. The EFB "moving map" keeps time very well for me. I can use it to tell if I'm drifting off a localizer course. (But I do not know the expected refresh rate.)

Sometimes I accidentally "fat finger" a mouse click and turn off moving map mode - the wind indicator and altitude/speed indicators disappear - but by and large it works.

So I'm afraid it's question time for you. :)

Short of capturing a side-by-side video of your FSX and EFB, can you describe how "far off" your EFB map is? If you pause FSX, does EFB "catch up" to your FSX position when you resume, or does it "pause in place" as well? Does your lag remain consistent, or does it vary at different phases of flight?

With regards,

Thanks for the reply but i disagree with the sound issue

For example i can run fsx and flight sim commander on the same commander and when i switch to the fsc window i do not loose sound. This is also true for many of the other 3rd party addons. I do loose sound when i run these products.

I am not a newbie to flight sim only to your product

I used to have this issue with a product named vasfmc and i think fspilot but that is no longer the case as they corrected this problem on an upgrade

Let me know if there is a command line that i can edit to change how this works.

it is very distracting to have the sim go quiet every time you switch to check a chart

Pete

Pete,

My apologies; I may have misunderstood your original post. Are you saying that when you switch from FSX to EFB that you lose FSX sound and cannot get the sound back? Or is it something different??

In Windowed mode - as you run FSX - if I task switch from FSX to any Windows program: FSCommander, EFB, Notepad, Firefox, etc., I cannot hear any FSX sound. When I switch/click back to FSX, the FSX sound returns. (Even if I click on a button in the FSC GPS window that appears within the FSX window, the FSX sound goes away only to return when I click back in the FSX cockpit.)

I have a dual monitor setup where I run FSX in "window 1" and add-ons in "window 2." In my setup, the FSC moving map is very aggressive in that with FS Commander in window 2, I only have to hover my mouse over the FSC window to lose FSX sound. In the case of EFB or other programs, I have to click on the program in window 2 to force the other app to gain focus.

So if I misunderstood, my apologies. :oops:

My experience is different from yours

Your commnet;

"In Windowed mode - as you run FSX - if I task switch from FSX to any Windows program: FSCommander, EFB, Notepad, Firefox, etc., I cannot hear any FSX sound. When I switch/click back to FSX, the FSX sound returns. (Even if I click on a button in the FSC GPS window that appears within the FSX window, the FSX sound goes away only to return when I click back in the FSX cockpit.) "

When I run firefox , fs-commander or notepad I do not loose the fsx sound, I do however loose the fsx sound with this program. I never lose sound with any undocked fsx gauge even if it is on another screen

I use three screens on two cards. I am using a rampage 2 extreme MB with a built in sb-xfi card.

Ok well we have different experiences, I can run everything without losing sound but this program so ill have to run it on my second computer with widefs, No big deal , I just dont understand why it wont behave typical to my other programs

Pete

Pete,

Now you will have me digging through my configuration files to see how I can make my system function like yours. I have simply accepted my FSX task-switching silence as a fact of life....

What's your FSX/PC setup - your OS version, FSX version, etc.?

Also, do you have multiple sound cards (or onboard sound plus a sound card)? If so, what do you have?

Finally, this may seem to be a silly question, but I'm hoping to narrow the possibilities here: If you were to bring the EFB DataProvider to the foreground over FSX instead of the EFB DisplayUnit, do you lose FSX sound or not?

Regards,