Networking difficulties

Hello,

I decided to try EFB for one month and from what I have seen this morning on my PC, it is a winner. However i will have to overcome some initial networking challenges: My definitive acquisition of EFB is subordinated to my being able to network one of my laptops to my main FSX PC (so as to use FSX full screen). I successfully established the network from my FSX PC on Windows 7 64 bits to my laptop equipped with Windows XP SP3 (both are visible on my network screen), but I cannot access my FSX PC as my laptop (Windows XP) asks for a user name (that I do not have or setup anywhere in Windows 7) and a password that I have. Has anyone experienced this challenge and solved it?

If I can't make it work with XP then I have another possibility with my MacBook Pro, but will it work? Is it compatible and has anyone resolved that?

Once that first hurdle is passed, will remain the "how to" use that EFB program on my remote computer, but one thing at a time...

Thanks for your feedback and help.

Best regards,

Jean-Claude

Guest William

It is a long time since I set up my PC and laptop in a network but if I recall correctly it will only work on Windows 7 with a username and password. I simply use the same username and password for both PC and laptop and it never lets me down. I am equally certain that I found something either in the help files accessible from the PC or on the MS website that showed me I needed a username and password. But, as I say, that was when I set up the network which was Windows 7 was released.

It is logical really - who would want another computer (your laptop) to have access to your PC. There is nothing really to show that they are both in the same room, just on the same network.

Anyway - that's what worked for me.

On my FSX PC, I created a user account that - through using local groups and access control lists - I was able to give read-only access to the particular folders and shares that EFB needs, and no access to any other folders.

Then I created the correct mappings on my 2ndary PC and used the new-user account to connect as.

Yes, I sometime play at being a Windows system administrator that's paranoid, but that's not what they pay me for. :)

Don't get Maxi-Vista it doesn't allow you to use the the iPads touch screen. Air Display allows you to create another monitor and it acts like a touch screen monitor too. Air Display isn't perfect though, just search the forum for "iPad Air Display" there are a few posts on the forum discussing the subject.