Online Traffic

I rebuilt my cleint machine where the data provider resides. My new EFB installation does not display online VATSIM traffic. The Preview function works. I do see VATSIM traffic running on another brand x product and I do have the Show Online Traffic box checked.

What else can I look for?

Thanks,

Brad,

The Preview function works.
Do you mean the OTPV (online traffic preview) function on the ground chart options bar, or do you mean the "AI aircraft monitor" which can be run from the DataProvider's "Data" menu?

Did you verify that there is no range limitation set? (in EFB and FSInn/Squawkbox).

• 2 weeks later...

I too have experienced a strange problem with online traffic the last few days but in my case it's on IVAO and the weird thing is I see some online traffic but not all and it seems to be mostly on the ground.

Let's say I'm parked at gate 20 at any airport and looking to my right I see another a/c at gate 22 and same thing looking to my left I see another a/c at gate 18. This is when I'm looking in FSX out of the window sitting in the virtual cockpit (or any view for that matter in FSX) but looking on the ground chart in EFB I only see one of the a/c but not the other.

I'm not sure and maybe it's just a coincidence but it feels like I'm started to have these weird problem after upgrading EFB to 1.3.2.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Richard,

if this happens again, could you please have a look at the "AI aircraft monitor" which can be opened from the DataProvider's menu. This monitor shows exactly the output of FSX, or in other words, what EFB is getting from FSX. If there is a difference between the monitor and what the DisplayUnit is indicating, please take a screenshot so I can see it.

Today I ironically had the opposite problem, was parked at gate 5 at ESSA when an a/c landed on 19R. The a/c showed up on the ground chart just fine and even before touchdown since I checked the option to show also airborne traffic on the ground chart within 10 nm. What then happened was I noticed on the ground chart how the a/c came in my direction and eventually parked at the gate on my right hand side but then after it disconnected from IVAO it reamined on my ground chart but it was gone in FSX and using AI a/c monitor as you told me about it showed nothing which was totally correct but for some reason the pink a/c symbol for this other online a/c remained on the ground chart. I thought maybe it would disappear after the online updates that occours every 5 min or so but nope...it remained on the ground chart even after updating.

Guest William

I think that was becase you had the airborne option (? OPTV - I am away from my PC) checked. If you had unchecked it I believe the plane symbol would have disappeared. Next time you fly when you taxi have OPTV and the aircraft both active - whilst taxiing the aircraft will move and stay in the same place.

I thought that was to check for other a/c before you actually go online. In this case I had the traffic button enabled. Another thing I noticed when enroute is sometimes traffic also stay on the chart even after they are outside the range you've set for showing traffic.

Well...not a big deal :)

Guest William

I am having difficulty seeing traffic as well. It is very much hit and miss. For example yesterday I took off behind two other aircraft the pilots of which I know. Only one showed up taking off and the icon then came to an abrupt stop whilst he was flying merrily along according to his radio reports. The other never appeared. I looked at the AI traffic item on the display provider and there was nothing at all showing at any time.

@Richard,

Here is an example when there are online traffic (IVAO) seen in FSX but not in EFB for some reason. ... but the traffic was not displayed on the Display Unit either.
Thanks for these screenshots. You can see that nothing comes out from FSX and therefore EFB cannot indicate the aircraft seen on the above screenshot. It remains mysterious why SimConnect doesn't provide this traffic. As already mentioned in earlier posts, what you see (or what you not see) on the AI aircraft monitor is the unfiltered output from SimConnect. I can't fix it, it's beyond EFB.

Guest William

On my part, and I am sure on Richard's as well, I never thought for a moment that he wasn't trying. Frankly I think on occasion he goes far beyond the bounds of what one might expect for support. :D

You're absolutely correct, I'm more than pleased with EFB and wouldn't fly without it now that I'm used to it.

As for the online traffic issues sure it would be great if they could be resolved so you can trust what is and isn't displayed 100% but I understand this might be tough if it in fact is FSX and it's limitations that are the culprit.

:D

Today I noticed this problem again, had an a/c parked next to me and not displayed on the EFB chart.

One thing I've been thinking is if it could have anything with the latest EFB service pack to do? I can't remember having these issues before that. Maybe it has nothing to do with it, was just a thought and if memory serves something changed to the way online traffic is handled in the latest SP?

The lastest build had marked improvements in its AI handling.

That's why it's a little baffling. Some report better "performace," while others report worse.

The bad thing is, owing to how online traffic can't ever be duplicated (or "saved and played back for study") there's little in the form of unit testing that can be performed.