Naming of waypoints in EFB loaded plan

Hi Urs,

P3Dv3.4. I use this purely for Concorde flights. I create my own plans to maximise the supersonic legs. In many cases I need to enter a waypoint using lat/lon such as 1500N06000W. I use PFPX to do this and then export the plan in P3D format.

When it's loaded into EFB that waypoint shows as N1500W06000. I'd rather it show as 1560N using the five character system. I'm attaching a plan I created from JFK to Barbados. If you load it you'll see what I mean.

Can the waypoint have a more elegant name than shown above?

KJFKTBPB99.pln

11 minutes ago, aivlasoft said:

Hi Ray,

it would be possible as long as a waypoint's coordinate has no minutes. But as soon as a waypoint reads like 1540N06022W the short 'five character' format will not work.

Hi Urs, but the shortened name of the waypoint is shown in quotes - 1560N. Is it not possible just to read that and ignore the waypoint coordinates?

You’ll understand it’s not always possible to use only degrees because that would mean the waypoint would be a considerable distance from the ideal position.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Urs,

I'm afraid this fix is not what I asked for. I asked that the name of the waypoint be changed to that held in the flight plan loaded into EFB.

Whilst you've done that you have also changed the lat / lon of those waypoints and I now have a discrepancy between those in the EFB plan and the waypoint coordinates fed to Concode's three INS systems.

As an example on thie attached plan - LPPTEGCC03.pln the waypoint 4110N should be N40.33.0 W009.33.0. Those are the coordinates in the plan. But the values fed into EFB from that plan are N41.00.0 W010.00.0

Later waypoint have the same problem. This is causing waypoints to appear in the wrong position on the map.

Can you please correct this so the actual lat / lon in the plan fed to EFB shows for each waypoint in its flight plan. No rounding please.

Sim is P3D v3.4 but that is not really relevant since the same would happen with v4 and v5.

EFB_Plan.jpg

LPPTEGCC03.pln

This is a significant problem for me with Concorde flights. I would appreciate a response given I am unable to roll back to an earlier version of EFB.

The distance from some waypoints in EFB to the real waypoint is so great I'm not being credited with having overflown them. I have to keep selecting the Direct To option. That is not sustainable.

Urs did point out that the five character limit does not support entries including minutes Ray, an arinc limitation for and seven characters I believe. Probably why the 'H' designated waypoints were introduced for NAT HLA.

Stephen, although he did explain about the issue with minutes in a waypoint he then said "It will be fixed with next update."

I took that as meaning adding minutes to a custom waypoint would be possible. Only being able to create waypoints in PFPX with whole degrees only is extremely limiting when certain criteria like accel and subsonic points are critical to correct Concorde operations.

I fail to understand why the information in a pln cannot be imported into EFB without any change to it. The plan contains both the named waypoint and its precise coordinates.

This change would appear to impact on any plan. Take 4410N as an example. This is not a custom waypoint. It's a standard waypoint. It's precise lat / lon is 43 degrees 42 minutes North, 10 degrees west.

But when imported into EFB the coordinates are changed to 44 degrees North, 10 degrees West.

This change needs reversing asap. I will happily put up with the long name of waypoints.

33 minutes ago, srcooke said:

I created and named a waypoint H4010 in pfpx to indicate a half degree N40.30.0W009.30.0, you could use N40.33.0 W009.33.0 and name in a similar fashion.

Ah right, thanks. That will be useful for critical waypoints such as the one between Malta and Scicily where there's just enough room to navigate supersonically without laying a sonic boom on those two populations. I've used alternative waypoints for LPPT-EGCC.

Could you give me a pointer to creating a custom one please?

35 minutes ago, srcooke said:

You'll need to check that a fix is not already defined in the EFB airac, it differs to that of PFPX.

This is getting more complicated than I would like. On reflection I would prefer it if Urs @aivlasoft could undo this change please.

The long names of custom waypoints are inelegant but remain functional.