Navigraph subscription mandatory?

tup61

I am confused. On another forum I am participating in a few topics where the Aivlasoft EFB is mentioned a few times and there is one thing I can't get clear.

I use MSFS (only). From what I understood the Aivlasoft EFB creates a database from whatever is in the sim. But now I am reading posts about a Navigraph subscription being needed, at least for the Navdata, in orde to fully use the EFB because Aivlasoft also updates the Navdata themselves somehow...

The odd thing is I am considering getting the Aivlasoft EFB because it is a one time purchase and I am not a fan of subscription models. Now it obviously would be odd to buy the EFB in order to avoid a Navigraph subscription only to find out I still need one...!

Besides, I also read that Navigraph doesn't officially sell navdata only anymore: they only offer the ultimate subscription to (new) users. Obviously paying for the FULL ultimate subscription would render the Aivlasoft EFB option completely useless to me.

Apart from the fact that I use SimBrief to create my flight plans I don't really care for Navigraph and monthly navdata updates. I am totally fine with MSFS's default Navblue navdata. I even wouldn't mind ditching SimBrief if the EFB can create flight plans just as well.

IN SHORT: if I would buy EFB v2 would the default MSFS Navblue navdata suffice? Would I be able to enjoy everything the EFB has to offer? Or do I need some navdata subscription after all to get the most of it?

On 3/6/2023 at 2:13 PM, tup61 said:

From what I understood the Aivlasoft EFB creates a database from whatever is in the sim.

EFB reads the airport data from MSFS and creates the airport's ground layout based on this data.

But now I am reading posts about a Navigraph subscription being needed, at least for the Navdata, in orde to fully use the EFB because Aivlasoft also updates the Navdata themselves somehow...

It's right that the navdata (SID, STAR, Approach) is depicted based on either Aerosoft NavDataPro (Lufthansa LIDO), or Navigraph FMS data (Jeppesen).

EFB does not read the NavBlue navdata which is part of MSFS. This is because NavBlue navdata is not equally complete as either Lufthansa LIDO or Jeppesen, and MSFS does not update it regularly every 28 days like the r/w AIRAC cycles.

EFB is provided with a old AIRAC cycle from Aerosoft NavDataPro and from Navigraph FMS data, in order to allow a fully functional program. Whether you need the regular updates or not, depends on your personal preferences. From a technical point of view it is not necessary, you can use EFB with the old, outdated AIRAC cycles which come with the installer.

Besides, I also read that Navigraph doesn't officially sell navdata only anymore

Yes, unfortunately this is true.

EDIT: See next post below.

IN SHORT: if I would buy EFB v2 would the default MSFS Navblue navdata suffice?

As mentioned above, EFB does not consider the NavBlue data from MSFS.

Would I be able to enjoy everything the EFB has to offer?

Yes, but the navdata which comes with the installer is outdated.

Please also read the MSFS limitations here: https://www.aivlasoft.com/msfs-limitations.html